Pleegenes's Reviews > Choosing to See: A Journey of Struggle and Hope

Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman

U_50x66
Oct 26, 10

Read from September 17 to 26, 2010

I have followed the Chapmans from the time Steve started recording. Steve shares a birthday with my son, although not the same age. I never thought that I would share the same grief with the Chapmans, but I do. When Mary Beth's book came out, I rushed to the bookstore to get it and devoured it in one day. It is not a book only about grief, it is about surrendering your dreams to God and letting Him exchange His dreams with yours. She talked about so many things she has struggled with, growing up, depression, marriage, the loss of Maria. I LOVED her comparison of Eeyore (her) and Tigger (Steve). I can so relate, although the roles are switched in my household. Buy this book for anyone who has recently lost a loved one, especially, if it is a child and unexpected. Shortly after reading this book, I had a friend lose her son, age 25, in a drowning accident, just like my son. Guess what I did? Couldn't get this book to her fast enough along with Steven Curtis Chapman's CD "Beauty Will Rise" which is full of hope-filled grief songs about Maria's passing.

This book is an easy read, most of the grief past is the later chapters and she has some blog notes at the back too. Mary Beth is not afraid to be raw with her emotions, yet very well written and not a "poor me" attitude. The book is full of hope, in spite of the Chapman's loss, which is why I recommend it so highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choosing to See.