Kelly's Reviews > Passion Play

Passion Play by Beth Bernobich

Sep 10, 2010

Read from September 22 to 29, 2010

I was excited when I won this book through a GR giveaway (thanks!!!). Initially, I expected a romance novel, judging from the cover, title and description. I was a little hesitant at first because that is not my genre of choice. It was pleasantly surprising then when I discovered that this novel was not a romance novel, but a fascinating read about a girl and her will to be more than just a pawn.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. Though I found myself wishing for a quicker pace more than once, it was definitely a worthwhile read. There were some unexpected twists and turns as well as a quite predictable romance. I definitely enjoyed reading it and would recommend it, but be warned it is a long read. At times, I found myself unable to put it down because I wanted to know what would happen next.
My one complaint was the politics/war. While ultimately necessary to the story, they proved to be very overwhelming and confusing. I more than once found myself trying to recall which name was which and who was on who's side. I know they needed to be there, but I found that it took away from my enjoyment of the novel. I was much more interested in Ilse's story than who wanted to kill whom and why. It was a good background for her tale, but there could have been less.
I believe this book is a series and I will definitely be reading to find out what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passion Play.

09/22/2010 page 24