Lynette's Reviews > The Dark Farewell

The Dark Farewell by Josh Lanyon

Sep 10, 10

Read in March, 2010

Shortly after World War One, people are still feeling the effects of loved ones they lost, including reporter David Flynn. His latest assignment brings him to Little Egypt to report on the aftermath of a local mining disaster. However, once he arrives in town, he learns there are bigger things going on. Someone is murdering girls, and there’s a mysterious medium who’s predicting their deaths. The whole situation seems a little too convenient for David and he finds himself trying to determine the medium’s motives. Is he the killer, or just another naive bystander.

When I first began THE DARK FAREWELL I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. It had a slow start-up and with so many characters (THE DARK FAREWELL takes place at a Boarding house in the 1920′s) to be introduced in the beginning of the story it took awhile to introduce everyone and their personality types. However, once the story/mystery began I couldn’t stop reading. THE DARK FAREWELL caught my attention and held it.

The characters were unique (and no I don’t mean because of their sexual orientation). Each person had a unique outlook on the, way they saw the world which enhance how they reacted to what was going on around them. Mr. Lanyon even managed to give his walk-on characters a distinct personality and each person played a part in helping David figure out what was going on.

David goes into the situation with many preconceived notions. I loved how his preconceptions were slowly torn down, from his feelings about the murders, the mine catastrophe, Julian and the other members of the boarding house. David’s growth was subtle and beautifully layered as he opened his eyes to look past outer appearances to see what’s within.

The mystery was inside THE DARK FAREWELL was well-done. Mr. Lanyon did an excellent job of leading his readers down the incorrect path. As a result, I didn’t know who the murderer was until right before David did.

I also must give Mr. Lanyon’s kudos for showing the depth of emotion between David and Julian. It was more powerful to me because it was so subtle. Even with the subtlety I could still tell how deeply they both cared about each other. Several fans of his had informed me that they didn’t think I would like Mr. Lanyon’s work because it was more focused on the mystery instead of the romance. They felt this way because I complained of the lack of romantic build up in one of his contemporaries and they felt his stories focused more on the mystery than the romantic relationship. Umm, they were wrong. I totally bought into David and Julian’s relationship and saw genuine caring and love between the two.

I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Farewell.