Eyebright's Reviews > He Fell in Love with His Wife

He Fell in Love with His Wife by Edward Payson Roe

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: 2008-winter-reading-challenge, 2008-books
Read in August, 2011, read count: 2

This was a wonderful story, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of you couldn't find it. The book I have is pretty old looking, and the copyright is in the 1800's.

This is the second book I have read recently where a young woman marries a man only to find out that he is already married. Alida, the girl in this book, is so hurt, troubled, and miserable when she finds out, that all she wants is to go somewhere where no one will look at her in disgust, where she can work to the end of her days, keeping herself going.

Then she meets James Holcroft, the hero of the story. He desperately needs someone to help him keep his farm afloat, because he can't do it himself. They make a arrangement. They are married, and exclude loving and honoring from the ceremony. It is strictly business.

The title of the book is "He Fell In Love With His Wife". How could any more explanation I would give explain it better than that? Although they get rather silly and exasperating at times, the second half of the story is really rather beautiful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read He Fell in Love with His Wife.

08/22/2011 page 53