Judy's Reviews > The Cave

The Cave by José Saramago

2421939
Sep 10, 2010

After reading his book "Blindness" and liking it, I decided to try another and I wasn't disappointed. As the story goes, an elderly man is working as a potter in a small village, like his father before him, until he is told by those at The Center, which is a nearby enclosed city complex, that his pottery dishes are no longer wanted or needed. The potter lives with his daughter and son-in-law, who works as a security guard at The Center. The potter and his daughter decide to try making ceramic dolls to help support the family. Their lives get complicated when the son-in-law gets a promotion at The Center and is expected to move his family there to something like the 34th floor. There's also a stray dog woven into the story, as well as a love interest for the widowed potter. As with "Blindness" the author runs conversations together but you soon get used to that. The way of life at The Center could be compared to some futurist city where there was no need to venture outside its walls. Everything, including the weather, was simulated inside. I'll be picking up "All the Names" by Saramago next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cave.