Karen's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House

The Sandman, Vol. 2 by Neil Gaiman

F 50x66
Sep 10, 10

Read in September, 2010

Stories involving gods and/or immortals can be hit or miss. This series features a group of people called the Endless (e.g. Destiny, Death, Desire), who exist even longer than gods because either they do not need belief to sustain them, or because it's impossible for people not to believe in them.

Dream (a.k.a. the Sandman) was locked up for a bunch of years, and is trying to clean up the mess in this series. This particular volume involves him trying to capture some loose citizens of his world, plus destroying a threat to his world. Some of the concepts are gruesome and distasteful, but the illustrations and descriptions are not overly gorey. I'm so-so on the plot of this particular volume.

There's a delightful interlude in the middle, where we see Dream meet the same man regularly, every 100 years to the day. (The mortal was given life for as long as he wished it, on a whim from Death and Dream.) It's a lot of fun to pick out the references to authors of the time from the side conversations depicted at the pub.

While I like the layout and design of each illustration, I'm not always keen on the details of each drawing, how the faces are executed, etc.

The book captures my imagination and I now intend to read more of the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 2.