Arlene's Reviews > The Last Days of Dogtown

The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant

Sep 10, 10

Read from September 09 to 10, 2010

I can't say I enjoyed this book. The characters live such difficult lives. I find it hard to read books about the down-trodden, especially if they are abused, physically or emotionally. And emotional and physical abuse, discrimination, and cruelty abound in this book. I just want to bury my head in the sand, and not be reminded that people like John Stanwood are allowed to exist.

I find myself torn between giving this 4 stars, because the author does a good job of portraying their sad lives, or 2 stars, because I really didn't enjoy the book. So I'm settling for 3 stars.

And yet, there are characters to rise above their circumstances to exhibit friendship, caring and bountiful kindness. The relationships of these lonely people, living their hard-scrabble lives in the dying community of Dogtown are encouraging.

Even the strongest characters in the book - Easter Carter, Judy Rhines, Cornelius Finson, Black Ruth, Oliver Younger - face periods of desperation. In this way, the characters are real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Days of Dogtown.

09/09/2010 page 200