Katie's Reviews > The Missing

The Missing by Tim Gautreaux

Sep 18, 10

bookshelves: crime, crime-fiction, general-fiction, history
Read from September 09 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy

This book was extremely well-written, and some of the descriptions were breathtaking. There was also the skeleton of an excellent plot, but it felt as though Gautreaux had ten dictionaries full of research that he simply HAD to include, whether or not it added anything to the story. At the end, I had little idea of what he was trying to do. At first, I thought the story of the missing girl and his own family would be tied together somehow, and then they weren't. Often, the three plot ties (his time in France during the war, the missing girl, his murdered family) were totally forgotten while one was addressed, and in the end I wasn't entirely sure why he included two of them.

As I said, the descriptions of the boats, the towns, and the way of life was beautiful, but I wish Gautreaux could describe the characters as well as that damn steam boat. I either didn't like most of the characters (ugh, Elise, CAN IT), or I had no true sense of who they were by the end (like Sam Simoneaux, the main character).

Overall, the setting was different from books I've read, which made it at least an enjoyable, beautifully written read, but there was a depth and a "tightness" in terms of editing that made it miss the mark overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Missing.