Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, first-reads, leisure, romance, ya
Read in September, 2010

Aside from Twilight, I haven't read too much paranormal romance. In reality, I'd probably give it 3.5 stars but decided to round up rather than down. I can't really evaluate how this book compares to others in the genre, but I read it fairly quickly and liked the story.

I am glad to see that it's part of a series. I don't think every book needs to be a series, but the author set up an interesting world, and for the first half of the book the reader is about as clueless about the world as the protagonist is, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that gets developed in subsequent books.

I thought the romance scenes were really well-done. She did a great job of capturing the anticipation of a first kiss and a first romance. I also liked how the "triangle" wasn't just a typical love triangle, just because it's different.

Another "plus" to the book is that it's pretty clean--you could give it to a middle schooler. I'm still not sure how I feel about the plot point that edits the characters cusses, but it does open this up to a wider group of readers. The romance, while really fun to read also doesn't go beyond kissing, so no worries there.

As I alluded to before, my biggest complaint about the book was that I wanted to see more of the world and the lore. The different types of paranormals, how they live, etc. It seemed like there was so much going on beneath the surface and I wish more of it could have been included.

FTC Notice: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.