Saraes's Reviews > The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World

The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau

U_50x66
Sep 18, 10

Read from September 09 to 18, 2010

" Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. -Sir Cecil Beaton

That quote is in the "Conclusion" section of Mr. Chris Guillebeau's book, "The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want and Change the World." It made me cry. The message, his message, while not truly unique, is something that he puts together so eloquently that it resonates strongly.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Chris isn't unique because he is, but as I finished reading his book earlier this morn, I realized that I had been highlighting sentences and marking almost every quote in the book with stars. When I got to very last quote by Martin Luther King, Jr., (which is one of my favorites by the way), I realized that others, many others, have shared this philosophy just not in the same way. And so what Chris brings to the table is his perspective, goals and love for this idea. That alone makes the message meaningful.

I can't entirely explain why I cried after finishing Chris's book, but I did. I was simply overwhelmed with emotion.

When I began reading Chris's blog in May of this year, I happily embraced. I found Chris, or maybe Chris found me, at the right time.

So back to the point, my review of the book: it is a MUST read for anyone and everyone out there seeking, questioning and overall doing. Chris's manner of writing is very approachable--he writes the way a friend writes to another friend-offering help, hope and sincerity. The book is easy to read and has great points and questions to ask yourself as you continue to grow.

Of course this book isn't for everybody and Chris makes a point to detail that, but this book is for the people out there struggling to make something happen without knowing how or why.

I especially enjoyed the chapter on legacy. I think this may be why I started to cry. See, I've been told many good things about myself as well: how I make people feel comfortable, am confident, have given confidence to others, etc, but I've always never felt like that was my offering to people, nor did I ever take it without feeling awkward. However, in the past year and a half, I have been lucky enough to find my footing-my offering to this world and one of them is continuing to be a force that comforts people. That is part of my legacy. We all have a legacy, it's just a matter of making sure we keep it moving. Chris offers ways to help you find and continue not just your happiness, but your own path. That's part of his legacy. One that will greatly force you to shake up your own world, which is never a bad thing. In other words, it's well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Non-Conformity.

09/09/2010