Crystal A's Reviews > What Lies Within

What Lies Within by Karen  Ball

Jan 07, 13

Read from September 09, 2010 to August 01, 2012

As with the other two books in this series, I was totally wrapped up in both the characters and the story. The characters were so well developed that, should I ever venture to the part of Oregon where the stories are set, I'd be looking for them just to see how things are going now. I want to see the coffee shop and meet the baristas that work there to see if they can make me one of their specialty coffees. I want to walk through the town in prayer against the adversaries in the book and pray for blessings for the good guys. I don't want to spoil it by giving details, but I can say that the bad guys really made me want to see them get their comeuppances, and the good ones made me feel I should actually add them to my prayer list.

The story itself is about the one of three siblings in the Justice family. Kylie, as her brother and sister call her when they're not calling her "sister-mommy," is the one I found harder to get to know from the first two novels, so I'm glad all three of them got their starring roles in the complete 3-book story. Kyla is also the character with whom I identified the least, while her little sister, Annot, is the one with whom I identified the most. That said, Kyla is the strong sibling and one with traits I'd like to have more of in my own life. Well, sometimes anyway. Still, I was completely wrapped up in her as she went through emotional and spiritual changes and as the truths from her past forced her to deal with them rather than pushing them down.

In this particular part of Kyla's life, she is trying to work in her father's construction business while considering settling down in marriage to another contractor who wants to merge the two companies. In the meantime, in her quest to honor her father's wishes, she finds an opportunity to do a pro-bono building job for a struggling church. The resistance she fights is unique and strong, and it stirs many issues in her from her own past. I was hooked into both her inner and outer conflicts along with the outer conflicts of other situations along the story line.

While the book can stand on its own, I cannot give a recommendation to read it without the treat of reading the first two books first. The whole story is just worth your time, even if you're like me and take over two years to finish the entire series. I will say that it's not good to do like I did and read the middle book first because it had me crying in anticipation of things I knew would happen in the first book, which was the story of Kyla and Annot's brother Dan Justice, a deputy sheriff in a small town. Dan's emotions in "Shattered Justice" were the ones that had me the most emotional as I read through the story. All three books had me wishing I could just sit down and read them without interruptions or having other things to do in my life, so for you readers that have time to read with abandon, I truly recommend the entire Family Honors series: Shattered Justice, Kaleidoscope Eyes, and What Lies Within.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Lies Within.