Mel's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: 1-books, bad-romance, couldn-t-finish, fantasy, hated-with-all-of-my-hate, masochistastic, young-adult
Recommended for: masochists who enjoy men who treat them like shit
Read from November 10, 2010 to March 07, 2011

I know that constant cussing makes a critical review look immature and unintelligent... but you know what? FUCK that. A disgusting, awful, jackass-glorifying book like this deserves to be cussed out, especially after I sat through most of it.

And I'm going to cuss this book out, in the style of the 'Fuck you' speech from 25th hour. And I don't care how stupid my review is going to look.

FUCK THIS MOTHERFUCKING BOOK.

Fuck this book, with writing and plot that is so dry that you literally feel dehydrated reading it. And what was the plot? NOTHING was the plot. Nothing happened. Nothing fucking happened. It was just Luce being a masochist and enjoying being treated like crap by Daniel, while she complained that another guy she was fooling around with wasn't good enough for her because he wasn't a jackass like Daniel.

Fuck Luce, that cheap copy of Nora from Hush, hush and Bella Swan. No personality, no interests outside assholes, plus she seems to be completely okay with men who treat her like shit. Because nice guys just don't cut it: they have to flip her off for her to gain interest. They have to try to control her life when they barely know her, they have to stalk her, be an asshole to her, and make-out with her in the aftermath of telling her to shut up. Nope, the angry assholes are the sexiest apparently. She goes through most of the book complaining about how much she loves Daniel when all he does is treat her like shit. But when she starts to actually think about that fact all Daniel has to do is 'kiss her roughly' and all is forgotten.

Fuck Daniel. Daniel was nothing more than a goddamn asshole. That guy is NOT romantic. That guy is a manipulative, stuck-up, selfish, ungrateful asshole who deserves to be fucking castrated. And fuck anyone who thinks he is romantic and that his actions and behaviour are all justifiable. You also deserve to be fucking castrated.
Do you honestly think it's romantic for a guy to flip you off?
Do you think it's romantic for a guy to decide who you should date, who you should hang out with, what school you should go to, and where you go in general?
Do you think it's romantic for a guy to tell you to shut up after you try to prove him wrong for thinking you are stupid?
And do you think it's okay for him to just be able to kiss you to make you forget?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you need to see a psychiatrist. No joke, go and get a psychiatrist. Because men like that are not romantic. What's wrong with a normal guy who treats you like an equal, with nothing but respect and kindness? Oh that's right, he's not a douche bag who wants to control your life. I'm sorry, how dare I forget?
Also, WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT HOW AWESOME HE IS AT FUCKING JUMP ROPING???

Fuck this book, which has more similarities to Hush, hush than it does Twilight, by the way. Here we have competition between Daniel and Patch for who gets to be the bigger asshole, the stupid girl who enjoys men who treat her like shit and does GOOGLE SEARCHES on them. And random shit happening until the end where random drama and fallen angel shit is thrown in that no one will care for anymore at that point. I couldn't finish this because the slow pace, the dryness and the stupidity in this book drove me insane. When I closed this book I literally shouted 'FUCK YOU' at it.

And fuck the person who made the cover, not even bothering to give credit to the original model, who had to find out her face was being used when she saw the book in the bookstore. Who knows how to use stock properly? -raises hand- When you use stock you HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO THE ORIGINAL ARTIST AND/OR MODEL OF THAT STOCK. IF YOU DON'T AND DO NOT ASK THE MODEL FOR CONSENT, YOU ARE STEALING.

Original pic: http://cait-shoxxi-stock.deviantart.c...

Fuck this fucking piece of disgusting literature. I'm sick of seeing abusive romance being glorified as the one true romance. And I'm sick of seeing women in real life using these books as inspiration.

ASSHOLES ARE NOT ROMANTIC. IF A GUY FLIPS YOU OFF, TELL HIM TO GO FUCK HIMSELF. AFTER THAT, MOVE ON AND GO FIND A NICE GUY.
47 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

11/10/2010
2.0% "Is this meant to be romantic?"
11/10/2010
2.0% "Actually this is a good way to grab a horny tween's attention: start with a sappy love scene with a brief make-out session."
11/10/2010
10.0% "I'm honestly not going to read the whole book, I just want to see how abusive the romance is, because apparently it's like, extreme."
11/10/2010
10.0% "HE FLIPPED. HER. OFF. LOL!"
02/25/2011 page 11
2.0% "I forgot where I was on the e-book thing, so I gotta re-read it, also since I barely remember any of it. -shudder- Oh I love a good masochistic read. (I am going to die inside after reading this, aren't I)" 11 comments
02/26/2011 page 55
12.0% "......... never has a book drained me this much." 4 comments
02/27/2011 page 113
25.0% ".... I have nothing to say for this book. Other than I am skimming now because if I read it properly I will dehydrate from the very dryness of this book."
02/28/2011 page 113
25.0% "I know I must finish this... but... I DON'T WANNA READ IT ANYMORE!!!" 14 comments
03/06/2011 page 157
35.0% "Please, somebody shoot Luce."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki I cannot wait to read your full review. This is gonna be good.

*waits*

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Hehehe thanks! So far I'm pretty sure I can promise you a lot of bitch ranting and raaaaaaaaage.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This books is awful. Good luck with it!

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel It's so dryyy. I even resorted to skimming through the pages now, because if I read it properly, I would dry out.

message 5: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina Luce needs to be locked away

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Princess wrote: "Luce needs to be locked away"

I GAVE UP ON THIS BOOK.

Cory I'm still wondering why I gave this two stars. Maybe because of Penn, and the fact that I liked the boarding school setting? Whatever the case, you're 100% right about Luce and Daniel.

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel I don't even remember who the fuck Penn is.

message 9: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki I *effing* love you. Seriously. If you were standing in front of me right now, I would hug you until you died. Then I would resurrect you, and then tell you to bitch-slap me until my OCD was gone and I could STOP READING THIS SERIES OF SHITTY CRAPPY STINKY HORRIBLE ABUSIVE BOOKS.

I'm almost done making the drawstring bag. *sewing machine*

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Short Hannah wrote: "I *effing* love you. Seriously. If you were standing in front of me right now, I would hug you until you died. Then I would resurrect you, and then tell you to bitch-slap me until my OCD was gone a..."

Lol I love you too hun. <3333 And I'm glad you liked my review. I was a little worried that it might not have been as epic as I promised.

Speaking of series, I don't think I'm going to read Torment. I can't. I physically CAN'T. I didn't even finish Fallen. I had to SKIM through most of it.

message 11: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki If you want to save a shred of your sanity, don't read Torment. Just don't. Though it is better than the first book merely in terms of the writing style, it's still an absolute bollock to get through.

It's only worth it if, like me, you enjoy snarking on GoodReads and are prepared to torture yourself for your art. And I mean Casino Royale torture. Not Cheez Whiz torture.

Though that's still pretty scathing.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This review is just win.

message 13: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice This is my favorite review on goodreads thus far. I wish more people swore in their reviews when it comes to books like these. Makes them more fun. ;)

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Lol thanks Midnight_Kiss and Décolletages!

To be honest I don't think this review is as good as some of my others. I mean, it's not so much a review as it is a vent. Because the book disgusted me soooo much that it just made me angry as fuck to even think about it. So angry that I can't even write a proper review without lots of fucking raaaaaaage.

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Kira wrote: "If you want to save a shred of your sanity, don't read Torment. Just don't. Though it is better than the first book merely in terms of the writing style, it's still an absolute bollock to get throu..."

I really don't think I'm going to read Torment. Maybe after I recover from Fallen. And it's obvious from my sloppy-really-just-a-rage-rant review that I didn't take Fallen very well.

message 16: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki Also, Sailor Mars FTW.

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Kira wrote: "Also, Sailor Mars FTW."

Fuck YES.

message 18: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki I always liked Rei. She didn't take shit. And she slapped Usagi. That helps.

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Rei should be the leader of the group. She's the one with the most balls.

message 20: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki I know. She's also not a Mary-Sue, which totes up a few more awesome points for her.

I think the only man with a face who was ever not attracted to Usagi was Rubeus, because he was simply too badass to be interested in her. I miss all those vintage episodes. You know, before it got weird.

message 21: by Farii (new) - rated it 1 star

Farii girl, open up a fan club, your's will have more fans than S.meyer,lauren.K and
Becca.F !!!

ROFL !!

Haleema My God. Seriously, this book NEEDS A REVIEW FILLED WITH CUSSING! Horrible. As for your review, it's hilarious! I had to literally excuse myself from the laptop to stop laughing.

message 23: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Fariha wrote: "girl, open up a fan club, your's will have more fans than S.meyer,lauren.K and
Becca.F !!!

ROFL !!"

I love you. Thank you.

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Haleema wrote: "My God. Seriously, this book NEEDS A REVIEW FILLED WITH CUSSING! Horrible. As for your review, it's hilarious! I had to literally excuse myself from the laptop to stop laughing."

This really isn't one of my best reviews, but I'm glad you like it anyhow. Yeah, this book infuriated me. Never have I read anything so frustrating to read. Even EVERMORE, which I couldn't finish, wasn't as frustrating. It was revolting and shit, but it was moist shit. It wasn't nearly as dry as Fallen, which is so dry that you literally feel dehydrated reading it.

Zero vi Britannia "Fuck Luce"
Um...I'd rather not.

message 26: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Zero vi Britannia wrote: ""Fuck Luce"
Um...I'd rather not."

Good choice.

Neville stop reading it if you don't like it.stop putting bad reviews on it because the writer have a hard time doing that book and it worth something to the writer

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Neville, I've seen thus argument being regurgitated countless times and I am beyond not giving a damn about it.

message 29: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel this*

thank you mobile app for sucking.