Arlene's Reviews > Breaking Point

Sep 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-2010, young-adult
Read in September, 2010

Breaking Point by Alex Flinn made me realize one very daunting fact... school is probably one of the most dangerous places to send our kids.

This book was far from being a fictional escape and more of a story about awareness and understanding with regards to school violence and why some kids resort to measures of destruction. Very scary and sad to say the least.

Paul Richmond is one of those privileged kids… if you can really consider him that. He is able to attend Gate Christian Academy on scholarship despite his lower social status because his mother is an employee of the school. Sounds like a great opportunity, but really it's not. He's bullied by the other students and never really has the chance to blend in with the crowd. To top it off, his father left the family, never returns his calls, he was home schooled for most of his life and now he finds himself in a situation where making friends is next to impossible. All that changes when Charlie Good crosses his path and gives Paul the golden pass into the inner circle. But the costs and consequences prove to be severe.

I despised Paul's father. He definitely made the upper echelon of Worst Parents in the World Club. His mother was worthy of sympathy, especially at the end. Charlie Good was bad.bad.bad… ironically. But, the students of Gate came across as realistic and the events are not improbable as we've witnessed time and time again on the news when it comes to school violence.

If you want to read an eye opener, this is the book for you. If you're looking for fictional la-la land… stay far far away from Breaking Point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Point.