Emily's Reviews > Some Girls: My Life in a Harem

Some Girls by Jillian Lauren

Sep 13, 10

Read in September, 2010

"So these were the women with whom I was traveling halfway around the world: a Jesus-loving Hustler centerfold, an evil shadow Marilyn, and a summer=camp counselor gone wrong." page 72

Some Girls is the story of Jillian Lauren who at 18 took a chance of a lifetime and traveled to the country of Brunei to be part of Prince Jefri's harem. She had just recently started working as an escort on the recommendation of a girl named Taylor whom she met while playing Victim 1 in a Vampire flick where her boobs got more airtime than her face.

Jillian left home at 16 when she early enrolled to NYU and then promptly dropped out and her adopted asshole of a father said no more money. So she started stripping, working as a waitress and interning with a theater group. She always held out hope that the big job that would break her was just around the corner, but what 18 year realizes when you show your tits you probably aren't going to make it to the big screen?

Jillian had an emotionally and physically abusive father who made her leap to Brunei sort of easy to understand but at the same time you wonder why the thought of sex slavery wouldn't keep her firmly planted on USA soil. When she arrives she finds a very regimented party where girls separate themselves by country and vie for the attention of Prince Jefri who insists upon being called Robin. He is spoiled playboy who gets what he wants how he wants when he wants and he demonstrates his control all of the time. In his defense I will say that he does give some pretty darn good gifts!

I really enjoyed this memoir, but parts of it were 'eh.' You can tell she was a very broken young girl and writes about her depression and her loathe of herself but I really don't think her best writing is in those parts. I think the parts of her first trip to Brunei are the best written parts of the book. I will say that the epilogue made my heart happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls.

09/12/2010 page 76
22.0% "Humorous and well written so far.."
show 1 hidden update…