Faith Justice's Reviews > The Natural: The Misunderstood Presidency of Bill Clinton

The Natural by Joe Klein

Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: given-away
Read in April, 2007

From the book jacket:

"Much has been written about Clinton, but The Natural is the first work to cut through the gossip, scandals, media hype, and emotional turbulence that Clinton always engendered, to step back and rationally analyze the eight years of his tenure, a period during which America rose to unprecedented levels of prosperity. Joe Klein puts that record into perspective, showing us what worked and what didn't, exactly what was accomplished and why, and who was responsible for the successes and the failures."

My review

This was a quick (just over 200 pages) and fascinating read about a deeply flawed but brilliant president. Klein does a good job of putting Clinton in the context of the political times. I was particularly interested in the Clinton marriage and Hilliary's influence and skills since she's running for President. I went from ambivalent to impressed and encouraged. I think the Clintons have been through the mill and know the territory. They've made the mistakes and should know how to avoid them this time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Natural.