Derek Oberg's Reviews > A Stitch in Time

A Stitch in Time by Andrew J. Robinson

Sep 09, 2010

Read in September, 2010

The first of many incredibly geeky Deep Space 9 books on my list for the near future (thanks to the very generous gift of a Nook from Ron and Danie).

I actually really liked this book. The series DS9 ends with the genocide of the Cardassian race by the Dominion, and this book (written by the actor who played Garak in the series, sans ghost-writer which pleasantly surprised me) picks up with the re-building of the planet by it's survivors. Formatted as a correspondence to Dr. Bashir, it tracks Garak through 3 different timelines: His youth and training/induction into the Obsidian Order, His period of exile on Terok Nor/Deep Space 9, and post-Dominion War rebuilding effort on Cardassia.

The only complaint I have is that this book pretty effectively destroys the Garak we knew from the series. He was the one character whose origin and background were shrouded in mysteries that the series never did fully explain. Granted, these things were probably left out of the series because he was too ancillary to devote the screen time to, but still, I always kinda dug him for that. But if an origin had to be done, I'm glad that Andrew J. Robinson is the one who did it, and that he did it so effectively.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stitch in Time.