Heather's Reviews > Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings

Your Brain on Food by Gary L. Wenk

2032228
Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended for: Anni
Read from September 09 to 27, 2010

The title and the cover are completely misleading. Pretty much the only thing about foods (with the exception of coffee and chocolate) the author said was that the amounts of certain chemicals are not enough to produce significant effects, if any.

That said, I did learn a few things about how different drugs effect the brain. For instance, I never knew why so many medications prohibit you from drinking alcohol (it multiplies the effects and can be fatal). I also learned why teenagers are so wreckless:

Essentially, your frontal lobes tell you that it's a bad idea to drink alcohol and drive or to ignore the consequences of taking ecstacy. When your frontal lobes finally complete their process of myelination, they begin to work properly and you stop doing stupid things. Most importantly, you stop feeling immortal. Apparently, women finish this process by age 25 years and men finish by age 30. [...] This delay in brain maturation among males may explain the behavior of many members of college fraternities.

There are entire books that discuss each of the different sections in this book. This one is meant as an introduction, and there is a small suggested further reading section in the back.

Many books have been written about religion and brain chemistry, but I love this quote: "A recent investigation discovered that the tendency to display extravagant religious behaviors correlated significantly with atrophy (i.e., shrinkage) of the right hippocampus in patients with untreatable epilepsy."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Brain on Food.

09/11/2010 page 71
09/21/2010 page 130
65.0% "The title is completely misleading: this book is about drugs. I guess "Your Brain on Drugs" wouldn't have come off well."

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine This sounds like an interesting book. I hope you will write a little review when you have finished it. I think there is probably some good evidence that food plays a role in how we think and feel.