Samantha's Reviews > Mastering the Art of French Cooking

Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child

Feb 05, 08

bookshelves: food-and-cookery
Read in November, 2006

OK, so coming to America I had heard of Julia Child but other than a vague familiarity I didn't think about her much. Food I think about all the time and it was whilst reading a comment by Anthony Bourdain that when in doubt he turns to Mrs Child that I though for the first time, she sounds interesting. One doesn't think of Julia Child and Anthony Bourdain together. Then about 2 years ago now there was a discussion on a foodie site about making croissants and I became filled with the desire to climb that particular mountain. In my mind there could be nothing as difficult as making any sort of puff pastry by hand and I needed deperately to take control of some part of my life.
So I turned to Julia. I read and double read her instructions, bought the best butter I could find and went to work in my envelope sized kitchen.
They were perfect, perfect, perfect! And I was in love (figuratively) with Julia!
Since then I have listened to her faithfully, even when I'm convinced it should be stock but her recipe says water, well wouldn't you know she's right - again.
My paperback copy is stained and watermarked and I make no excuses. The detail and explanation in her books is absolutely necessary and if the end product is of any real importance to you, well worthwhile.
She is absolutely necessary (in my humble but well fed opinion) to any cook's library.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastering the Art of French Cooking.