Laura Crockett's Reviews > The True History of Chocolate

The True History of Chocolate by Sophie D. Coe

Oct 05, 10

Read from September 09 to October 02, 2010

This is not only a history of chocolate, but a slice of history of the area from which it originated (Mesoamerica) the Aztecs and then the history of how chocolate came to Europe, North America and so forth. There are recipes for hot chocolate from the 18th century included. I have tried a couple. Let me tell you! This is not your powdered chocolate mix that you buy in the supermarket or at Trader Joe's. Those powders are milk/sugar based. And I will not go back to drinking a cup of that stuff because that is so phony! One does sacrifice taste and richness in the name of convenience. True hot chocolate is very rich indeed. Like a good cheesecake, a little goes a long way.

Last month I held a chocolatada (chocolate party) at my church. The party was a hit! With the holiday seasons coming up, I will hold another one sometime during Advent.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True History of Chocolate.

09/09/2010 page 35
10/05/2010 page 35
13.0% "This is a wonderful book. I have finished and saved the recipes for hot chocolate."
show 1 hidden update…