Caroline's Reviews > Digging to America

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

May 14, 2007

it was ok
Read in April, 2007

First of all, I'm a HUGE Anne Tyler fan. To my mind, she can do no wrong. Reading one of her books is like curling up on the couch in a baggy cashmere sweater. That said, this is definitely not one of her strongest. She doesn't develop the characters in any particularly complex way and it's really hard to step into their shoes. Usually her portrayals of families are so hauntingly real, it's almost uncomfortable to read about them, but here it read like the "setting the scene" for a family drama on Lifetime. Held up next to Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake, which deals with similar themes, Digging to America doesn't gain any traction at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digging to America.

04/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tracy O (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracy O I get what you say, but creating and having a family is (disturbinly LIKE Lifetime - totally YUK - but, it's true - I don't know what else to say). I would like to say that Tyler's portrayal of her characters is off in some way to make mayself feel better, but from my own experience in these alternative child-bearing waters, this is pretty right on. I read this with an intense sense of recognition - maybe it's just because I'm on the west coast where we're really pushing the edge of parentage and how to define that.

Carol Collins Just superb..for anyone who has ever felt alone and isolated,there are fundamental truths in this exceptional novel..how can Anne Tyler keep getting better? She is already wonderful!