Lisa (Bookworm Lisa)'s Reviews > An Irish Country Courtship

An Irish Country Courtship by Patrick Taylor

Sep 21, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, adult
Read from September 09 to 21, 2010

I won this book in a good reads give away.

I received my copy today (9/14/10) time to dig in. ;-) Finished the book on September 21st.

This is a delightful book. The book centers around a small Irish town. The two main characters are both Doctors at different points in their practice and in their lives, but both are dealing with issues of the heart.

Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly is older, a widower and established in the town of Ballybucklebo. He is dating a nurse, who he had a relationship prior to his marriage, many years ago. He is trying to trust his heart and open himself up to loving again.

Doctor Barry Laverty is young, just out of school and has just had his heart broken. Patricia, does not want the life of a small country doctor's wife. He is struggling with the decisions of what he wants for his future.

This book gets it's flavor from the people of Ballybucklebo. The swindler town council man, the employee who fell into his scheme and is now scheming with the good Dr's to stop him. The jealous housekeeper and the assorted townspeople who see the Dr's for advice. I wish that I lived in an area where the Dr's cared more for the welfare of their patients. These two fabulous Dr's make unsolicited housecalls, just because they notice a patient is offcolor or loosing weight.

This book runs at a slower pace than most of the books that I read. I loved reading Irish words that I have never come across before. Thank Heavens for the glossary in the back! I'm wondering if I can use some of them in Scrabble?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Irish Country Courtship.

09/20/2010 page 216
47.0% "I am enjoying this book so far... it is a bit slower than my normal intese packed choices. It is a great change of pace for me."