Sherry's Reviews > Stiff

Stiff by Mary Roach

Sep 09, 2010

Read from December 15, 2010 to February 02, 2011

For some reason, I couldn't make it through the last 15 pages of this book for weeks! I don't know if the story really ground to a halt for me, or if this is just a testament to how little spare time I have.

Regardless, I really enjoyed this book. I have been on a bit of a tear lately, researching books on death and dying. I wouldn't say I'm overly fixated on death or even morbidly curious, but let's face it: death is part of life. I suppose it was the welcoming of my husband's and my first child that really got me thinking about what is going to happen when I die, only because she will most likely be the one carrying out my wishes and the wishes of my husband. It was time he and I figured out what those wishes were.

This book was useful in that it explained a lot of the things that happen to people's bodies after they pass. It wasn't an exhaustive resource on end-of-life planning, nor did it pretend to be. It was, however, a well-written exploration of some of the options that are available or being made available in the coming years. If you're looking to make some end-of-life plans, this book is a good jumping off point, although Grave Expectations: Planning The End Like There's No Tomorrow might be the book you need if truly planning everything out is your ultimate goal.

Even if you don't care one bit about end-of-life planning, this is still an enjoyable read because even if you're not planning to die, you will die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stiff.

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I just started reading this for the 3rd time - it's so amazing. Let me know what you think!

Sherry Alicia wrote: "I just started reading this for the 3rd time - it's so amazing. Let me know what you think!"

I have been on the last 15 pages for weeks! I haven't had a chance to sit down and finish the book.