usagi ☆ミ's Reviews > Born at Midnight

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Sep 09, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, faepunk, what-is-this-i-dont-even, vampires, wolves, witches-and-whores, teenage-shennanigans, reviewed
Read from June 18 to 20, 2011

I have to agree with everyone else that’s reviewed this book so far – I love that Hunter included a vast array of diverse characters (in terms of supernatural races/species and human characteristics), but unfortunately, it fell kind of flat for me. I couldn’t seem to find the conflict, and the plot kind of stalled after the first few chapters. Which makes me sad, because this book held so much promise.

The heroine’s mysterious identity of “what the hell am I?” is interesting at first, with everyone at Shadow Falls Camp trying to figure out who and what she is (including herself), but as it progresses, it stalls, and nothing really happens. There’s a lot of dialogue, a lot of possible clashes with other species, but there’s the problem: it’s all POSSIBLE, and it doesn’t really happen outside of the actual scenes with dialogue itself. The only real conflict I could identify was self-identity for the heroine and that was about it. Oh, and her parents. I kind of wanted to punch her parents repeatedly in the face, but in a book for YA, there have to be characters you love/want to hate, so I guess her parents make the list there.

Also, it needs must be said that this book could have worked very well without the love triangle. This could have been a journey to find Kylie’s self and identity, tracking down her heritage, and having conflict with that. The love triangle wasn’t needed at all. Perhaps some romance with one of the characters while dealing with others would have worked better, but the love triangle is so played out in paranormal YA fiction right now, it’s hard to find someone who gets it right. Hunter, unfortunately, did not fit into that category.

I wish I could say I enjoyed the rest of this book. I really did. The premise was great, the plot seemed well structured and then it just fell apart with too much talking, too much telling, and not enough showing on the part of Hunter. This isn’t to say that I’ve been dissuaded from reading Hunter’s future work, as I’m still quite interested in this project. Here’s hoping the next book in this series will be better than the first.

(posted to librarything, goodreads, shelfari, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born at Midnight.

06/18/2011 page 88