Patricia's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1 by Bryan Lee O'Malley

1987837
Sep 08, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from September 08 to 11, 2010

A resounding "meh." Scott Pilgrim, I'm just not that into you.

I enjoyed the film mostly for the nods to the video game medium, which I actually thought played smoother and more wittily there, perhaps because movies and gaming are both built on moving pictures. And other than that interesting formal element, there's not much to love here for me. In fact, in my mind, the only place where the graphic novel outshines the very close film adaptation is that manic pixie dream girl Ramona has a bit more personality--but only a bit. And I hated the anime-esque art style.

I might read the other volumes if someone gave them to me and I had nothing else to do, but otherwise probably not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1.

03/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I'm curious to read your views on Scott Pilgrim vs. feminism (there are some good articles on the subject that were written when the movie came out).

Patricia I've kind of felt like the feminist critiques I read missed the point in their three major complaints:

1) Ramona's character became less interesting--Okay, fine, but part of me thinks that this was mostly a casting problem, since the dialogue was adapted pretty closely but the actress is kind of blah.

2) People are offended about Knives being Chinese--I actually think both the graphic novel and the film use this detail to poke fun dudes who fetishize young Asian girls. So, I feel like that critique is already built in to the text.

3) The female characters aren't kickass heroines--True, and annoying, but it's a series from the point of view of a 23-year-old slacker boy who does, in fact, seem to just view girls as props for his own self esteem. The characterization of the female characters is consistent with the premise, and I wouldn't really expect anything different from this kind of story.

What do you think?