Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, clean-enough, so-not-impressed, your-cover-lies, addicted-to-ya
Read from September 04 to 06, 2010

Yeahhhhh, so this one started out pretty funny. I kind of liked Evie. Though I did think she was much less mature than what you think someone would be, based on her level of confinement.

The bad guy was ok. I didn't really see her as intimidating. I mean, she really wasn't. Her wrath was kind of peaceful. It's hard to explain but I felt like they were just rumors of a bad guy, that there was no actual bad guy in this book.

I did not like the IPCA. I thought what they did to paranormals was wrong, wrong, wrong. It was slavery, slavery I tell you!

I was all set to complain about the lack of answers in this book. No explanation of what paranormalcy is, nothing about how that stun gun worked. You mean to tell me not one single PN was immune to a measly stun gun?? How the heck can you be paranormal then? I'd call you different, but not paranormal!

I think this was the first book that I've read where the paranormals were extremely lame and so unimpressive. They were weaker than humans. They let humans control them. How could you not know basic self defense? I mean, they let themselves get caught by a 16 year old girl with a stun gun who admittedly does not work out!!! Do they have bricks for feet or something?? Really, they sit and patiently take accept it and politely ask questions. Me? I'd ask a question to distract her, karate chop her in the neck, and run like there's a 49 cent sale on best sellers at the nearest bookstore.

I think most people would still like this one. It was funny in most places and extremely clean. There was no excessive violence and no bad language. It was lighthearted but just not enough to get more stars from me. The ending was kind of lame and anti-climatic.

I liked Lend, Lissa and David. There was someone else I liked but I couldn't read the name I wrote in my notes (and I already returned the book)! I still don't know about Reth.

And the cover lies! It is a beautiful cover, but it was all lies. The cover makes you think it's dark, but it's not. It's light and campy (not a bad thing, but the cover lies!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * Ugh! I am over most of these paranormal series. There is only a handful of them I like. It is not my genre.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) But the cover was soooo pretty. And it wasn't awful, it just wasn't very good. And I enjoyed making fun of it! But I think this will be one of those popular ones because it's so fluffy.

That's why i mix it up with adult books, otherwise I start getting wayyy to critical.

Aerin Wow, Peep. I'm known to be harsh, but I can't conceive of giving this one 2 stars. It was way better than Two Princesses of Bamarre, for example.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Gasp! I'll pretend you didn't say that!

And I didn't hate it, so that's why it got two stars. I didn't like it, so that's why it didn't get three. This seems like one of those books that people really liked or didn't, at least based on what my friends here on GR have rated it. I couldn't see this one being 5 stars at all. Though, if someone asked if they should or skip, I'd say read it.

Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * 2 stars means "it was ok" - it is still acceptable.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Best review ever. I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who wasn't crazy about it. It was too lighthearted and fluffy and happy that when the story needed to be grim and somber, it couldn't. Stupid tricksy cover..

THIS. I completely second this.

Erica (daydreamer) You're review made me laugh. I haven't read Paranormalcy, so I don't know if I'd like it or not. Even if I did like the book, I'd still like your review :)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Thanks Erica and Amy! I heart comments. (`') <-- That was supposed to be a heart but it looks like a sideways pacman. I accept my failure.

Amy! Please don't get me started on that cover again. And I was just getting over Hex Hall's cover lies!!!

Erica, you should still read it. I don't think it's a book to skip at all. Read it... become one of us....

message 9: by Erica (daydreamer) (last edited Sep 18, 2010 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erica (daydreamer) I plan to, just don't when I'll be able to. I don't want to buy it, because of several reviews like yours, but my public library is so dang small, it'll never get it! Ah well, I'll find it somewhere.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Wow, I just looked at the book page and it looks like everybody else liked it. Oh well!

You could buy it and if you don't like it, give it to your library. Hahaha. That's what I usually do. My local library has a ton of books that didn't make the cut. They like it though.

message 11: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Love your comments. Seriously. Yeah, I picked it up thinking it was going to be like the Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong, that seriously creepy, but not enough to keep me up, sort of dark tone with romance, nail biting tension, action packed kind of book. I'm halfway through and waiting for the book to start. There has to be a plot SOMEWHERE in there right? Something a little gripping? Will settle for a light tap on the shoulder to get my attention... No? *sigh*

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It'll pick up somewhere in there, you just hang on! I believe in you!! And nail biting is a bad habit. You should try good habits, like helping me clean my inbox. That always makes people (mainly only me) happy!

Miss Clark Very good review. Esp. the part about the weak paranormals and Vivien....

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Thanks Miss Clark! Glad you liked it. DO you plan on reading the next book? Wonder when it's coming out? Maybe it'll be darker than this one?

Miss Clark No, I don't. When I have over 300 books to-be-read, I have to prioritize. SUPERNATURALLY comes out in July, 2011.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahaha, I know what you mean about the tbr pile. I'll probably read the next one if the cover is pretty. I'm just sayin'.

Cindy I love that you would 'karate chop' Evie.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I take my karate chops seriously. I'd even make the hiYAH sound.