Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > A Rule Against Murder

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

3920693
I'm mad at Louise Penny because of book #5 in the Three Pines/Chief Inspector Gamache mysteries, and I want to take it out on her now, but in fairness I just can't. I loved this book as much as I expected to. I thought that moving the action out of Three Pines would make me grumpy, but instead it made me feel, more than ever, that I want to live in Three Pines because Manoir Bellechasse is close for those times I need to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of Three Pines (snort).

The Gamaches seem so at home in the splendid, isolated Manoir, with its beautiful robber-baron-era main building and its spectacular lake. The murder this time is one I was saddened by; the murderer was one I felt so strongly about that I hollered at the pages, "Don't do it!" in the vain hope I could alter the course of the action.

I couldn't.

Damn.

But the real surprise here is the Morrows...Peter and Clara Morrow show up at the Manoir to be at a special family reunion of Peter's horrid family. I know families like this exist. I belong to one. But it's really distasteful to watch the Morrow clan in action. I suppose if my family still had money, we'd behave pretty much exactly like the Morrows, and I mean exactly, down to every detail of the action. Recessions, divorces, and bad business decisions be praised!

I like Clara a little less now; I like Peter almost not at all; and the Gamaches are aces in my book, though I suspect that Armand would wear on me if he's really like he was at the very, very end of this book...a little too perfect. And I still could not WAIT to get to book five! I was panting for it!

Bah. Humbug.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rule Against Murder.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Allison I so agree with EVERY SINGLE THING you say here.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Allison wrote: "I so agree with EVERY SINGLE THING you say here."

Good! Thanks for sharing the love, Allison!