Gina Denny's Reviews > School's Out—Forever

bookshelves: ya
Recommended to Gina by: Jumble Mash of Jumblemash.blogspot.com
Recommended for: Everybody.
Read from January 10 to 12, 2011 , read count: 1

I don't remember what I rated the first book in this series, and I'm too lazy to go look it up. I do know that this one was slightly less amazing. Still pretty freaking good, just less amazing.

I mean, what is it with sequels these days? They always have to up the ante, and it's just dizzying sometimes. The pace in this book wasn't fast- it was frantic. The theme wasn't "there are only a few people you can trust" it was "there is absolutely nobody on the planet you can trust ever." The danger wasn't closing in, it was right on top of them the entire time. It's like Patterson took the phrase "leaves you breathless" a little too literally; I felt like there was no breathing room in this book. No character development, just plot, plot, plot, plot, plot. And not a complex plot, just one daggumed thing after another.

OK, rant over. Aside from the frenetic pace, I really did like this book. I like the who's-on-which-side nonsense, and I like the comic-book feel of the characters. I also kind of like that the voice of the teenaged main character is consistent. She talks like a teenager would talk, without being entirely vulgar and annoying.

Sex 0/5: Nothing offensive at all. Some teen kissing, but it's all very "Disney" style kissing.

Language 0/5: Nothing. G-rated Euphemisms all the way through.

Violence 2/5: There's a lot of hand to hand fighting, but it's not gory, and the main characters always fight in the old-movie-style: hurt the opponent, and the bad guy runs away, yelling "you'll be sorry!" Nobody dies, at least not that we see. Though the kids do make homemade explosives, so there's that...

Substance Abuses 0/5: Not even the mention of a cigarette or a beer.

I LOVE that this book manages to be as exhilarating as it is while still being something I would feel completely comfortable letting an 8 year old read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read School's Out—Forever.