Camille-Dhark Nytmhare's Reviews > A Caress of Twilight

A Caress of Twilight by Laurell K. Hamilton

Sep 11, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, read-in-2010, books-i-reviewed
Read from September 08 to 11, 2010

This is the second story in the Merry Gentry series. In this story Merry inadvertently delves a little deeper into fae politics while trying to conceive a baby and maintain her Private Eye job status.

Merry is such an honorable person. I like how the author aligns her allies with her. Merry gains allies not because of her birth right or heritage but because she displays such intelligence and strength of character. In this story we begin to see Merry think like a queen. I have so much respect for someone who calls people on their bullsh#t and it satisfied my soul each time Merry did it. I loved that she threw caution to the wind and chose to offend rather than be misled into doing things that were detrimental to her safe-keeping.

The conflicts in this story tend to be political or emotional in nature. The nuisances of emotional turmoil are brilliantly described making characters 3 dimensional. For example, the hypnotic rubbing of Merry’s legs by Kitto is one of the descriptions that the author writes about. Continuous descriptions like that confirms that Kitto may be much more that a pet and possibly have a special connection to Merry.

Some readers may consider these types of detailed descriptions are TMI, but coupled with a good story it can add to the physical tension. Detailed descriptions also gives the reader insight to secondary characters and their relationship to Merry.

There is lots of political jousting. The political elements were sometimes confusing. Each immortal character had their own nuisances. Lots of times it was hard to remember the political differences between the demi fey, fairie, sidhe, goblins and many others.

Sex scenes where overblown because there was no connection between her and her lovers. No matter how hard the author tried to make us believe it. No amount of fireworks and sparks flying out your ass can convince me that was good lovin’ , maybe a good boinkin’, but lovin’ nahh.

This really is a memorable book, because much time was spent in character development and world building. It is a detailed well written novel, that puts you deep in the main characters psyche. There was not a lot of action, but enough conflict was created at the climax. You wonder where the author will take us in the next book. I am hoping the story picks up a little more by the next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Caress of Twilight.

09/08/2010 page 13