Mary's Reviews > Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion

Choice by Karen E. Bender

Jun 15, 08

bookshelves: gender
Recommended for: new moms, people set in their opinions regarding reproductive issues, and basically everyone else
Read in May, 2008

To be perfectly honest (and still sound overly-enthusiastic), I don't know that I've ever read a better collection of essays on *any* topic than Choice. These stories take a topic intently assigned to the intellect and bring it back to the heart, reminding the reader that the personal, while political, is also simply personal. "Reproductive rights" is no euphemism in this book; it covers the gambit (as the subtitle explains) of reproductive issues, and does so with amazingly consistent, compelling narratives. The stories are a reminder of the vast amount of gray in this black/ white issue, a reminder that those of us firmly planted in our position still don't have all the answers, and that the best solution to an incredibly complex problem remains one a woman has the freedom to choose herself. I recommend this book so highly (and so often) I sound nutty and a bit obsessed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choice.