B's Reviews > When Species Meet

When Species Meet by Donna J. Haraway

Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: cultural-critiques, why-did-i-go-through-with-it
Read from September 08 to 09, 2010

If my professor keeps assigning books like this her class may be the death of me.

I can't even begin on the atrocity that is this book. Instead, I'll let Haraway speak for herself:

87 "For example, what about instituting changes in daily lab schedules so that even rats or mice get to learn how to do new things that make their lives more interesting."

294 "Katie and Mischa reported a solemn, rather than festive, sharing of bits of placenta - cooked with onions - in which friends shared nutrients needs by mother and baby at this moment of beginnings."

87 "We damn well do have the obligation to make those lab apes' lives as full as we can (raise the taxes to cover the cost!"

And my personal favorite (get ready ladies and gentlemen - fasten your seat belt because...)

81 "Meat eating is like the Holocaust; meat eating is the Holocaust."

Why, Graduate School? Why?
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Species Meet.

Kyle Wasn't the last quote you mention (page 81) more of a caricature of the extreme position of militant animal rights activism? She does highlight the inhumanity inherent in "making beings killable," but because she is able to parse this out from killing as such, her particular position didn't seem this extreme. Please correct if I'm wrong, as I'm currently grappling with this book myself!