Jenny's Reviews > How the Irish Saved Civilization

How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, historical
Read from September 09 to 27, 2010

Certainly interesting; made me want to read more, and in more depth. Like most good books, it contained several suggestions for further reading. I never thought I'd be tempted to delve into the Confessions of St. Augustine...

"For where could my heart flee from my heart? Where could I escape myself?" -Augustine (p. 41)

(On Augustine) ...That unusual specimen:...a man of feeling who takes ideas seriously. (57)

To be Irish is to know that in the end the world will break your heart. -attributed to Daniel Patrick Moynihan after the assassination of JFK (97)

"Supreme egotism and utter seriousness are necessary for the greatest accomplishment, and these the Irish find hard to sustain; at some point, the instinct to see life in a comic light becomes irresistible, and ambition falls before it." -William V. Shannon (147)

Amor non tenet ordem - Love has nothing to do with order -Columbanus (176)

Anmchara (defn.) a soul-friend, someone to be trusted over a whole lifetime (177)

Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current - They change their sky but not their soul who cross the ocean -Horace (193

Bibliography - Augustine's Confessions - trans. Frank Sheed, 1943; Henry Chadwick, 1991

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Irish Saved Civilization.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Katiarai (new)

Katiarai Don't do it. I had to read this in high school and it was incredibly boring.

Jenny Really? I just started it today and I like it so far...remember I'm a history nerd.