LJ's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: contemporary_post_1945, england, female_author, mystery, unlicensed_investigator
Read in August, 2010

First Sentence: Leeds: ‘Motorway City of the Seventies’.

Spur of the moment decisions lead to life-altering consequences. A child and a dog link characters in an expected way that leads to injury and death.

Atkinson has created several mysteries within one story in this latest outing, and although Jackson is the continuing thread between the books, he is certainly not the only significant character.

One element I so enjoy about Atkinson’s books is that her characters are somewhat abnormal for being no realistically normal. Brodie is an ex-cop, ex-PI with a number of failed or failing relationships. It is nice to learn much more about him and his background here. Tracy is a long way from being the attractive, sexy, young cop so common now. Tilly is an elderly actress with early dementia.

I find it almost impossible to describe this book. The writing is clever but without feeling contrived. Her voice and humor are delightful. There are coincidences, but they are deliberate and play upon the theme. The theme, which comes from the traditional poem “For want of a nail…” is brilliantly played out.

I did not find this the easiest book to read due to time and POV changes. It was a bit slow getting into, but it was never boring. I am always fascinated by Atkinson’s writing and I love her titles. All I can say is that this is a book which can stand on its own and is very well worth reading.

STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG (PI-Jackson Brodie-England-Cont) – VG
Atkinson, Kate – 4th in series
Doubleday, ©2010, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780385608022
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.

message 1: by Mikey (new)

Mikey Ooooh, sounds like a good one. I read her "Case Histories" a couple years ago and really liked it. I will have to add this one to my "to be read wish list."
Mikey

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ It was good. However, my favorite of her is "When Will There Be Good News." Love her titles!

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy I have her CASE HISTORIES and haven't read it yet. From what I'm hearing, she's shaping up to write a very good series.

message 4: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ Each book is quite different but I love her overall voice. Enjoy!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine The first sentence is 'Leeds 'Motorway City of the Seventies’ not Leads!!!!

message 6: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ Thank you, Christine, for letting me know of my typo. I have made the correction.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine well I do live in Leeds! ...though I am a bit tired of the media cliche of Leeds - serial killers and dirty footballers which she is perhaps peddling a bit....I moved to Leeds from London in mid seventies and still live in Headingley - massive academic city -biggest employers. Am enjoying the book so far - first of hers I've read. Rather keen on the dog.

message 8: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ I figured you must. Unfortunately, my only experience with England was a week there on business. I stayed in Sonning-on-Thames during the week and London on the weekend. I'd love to come back. I agree, I liked the dog a lot.