Julia's Reviews > Reweaving the Web of Life: Feminism and Nonviolence

F_50x66
Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: reweaving-the-web-of-life
Read from October 10 to November 10, 2010

Pam McAllister edited and comprised a great collection of essays and stories on Acts of Civil Disobedience, protests, Marches, Speeches, Rallys, and Policy reform, for the Womens Movement for Equality and Peace rom the 1870's to the 1980's.
To mention a few, starting in 1853 with Quaker Activist Lucretia Mott, at "The Grand Rally of the Bloomers" at the NY Womens Rights Convention of 1853. And later at the National Womens Sufferage Association for Equal Rightts Ammendment. Lucretia committed Civil Disobedience by voting illegally in an election in Rochester NY. Also refusing to pay her jail fine telling the Judge"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God".
Following in Mott's footsteps were Susan B. Anthony, Abby Kelly, and Alice Paul. Fighting most of their lives to end racial discrimination, for Native Americans, for freedom of thought and religion. In the words of Margaret Bacon on those "Pioneers"--"We can take strength from the women who stood bravely before us paving the way with their own courageous lives.
The Title"Reweaving the Web of Life, feminism and nonviolence" is literally a desriptive illustration of this Anthology. Empowerment, Defiance and Love are the intentions and ideals at the "Womens Pentagon Action". As hundreds of women are seated beneath their Web of colorful string and yarn"woven" as an Act of Empowerment for feminist street theatre. And used to "weave closed" the entrances to the Pentagon in 1980 as Direct Action against war, nuclear power, and violence.
I enjoyed reading this anthology addressing the true spirit of feminism and nonviolence. There are no easy answers to peace. It is ironic that we must stand up to radicals who want to destroy our independance.
But the feminist(matriotic)philosophy has been infiltrated to be sure. Raping and bullying are totally unacceptable in our culture and being exploited as such. We've come a long way baby but we've a long way to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reweaving the Web of Life.