Khinna's Reviews > A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America

A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Read in April, 2012

I originally gave this book four stars, but after thoroughly reading it a second time around. I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I am with this book. It doesn't just give the history of how White European history created our America, but includes Native American History, African American History, Irish American, Jewish American, and Asian American history. I feel this book is much more relevant to my own family history than trying to identify with not the myopic, one dimensional history taught in American schools. Takiki does a wonderful job of interweaving and connecting an American history that includes all ethnic groups that shape American history. The version I own is a bit outdated, but I still feel that even in 2012, America still is discussing race-ethnic relations.

A few problems I do have this book is that he seems to paint the anyone with white descent heritage as land thirsty and a bit barbarous, which lends to his biased view. As someone who has assimilated and acculturated, racism isn't just black or white, I have dealt with my fair share of inter culture racism. It do find it's pertinent to understand (especially within my field of Public Health) the background and past history of each unique individual that lives or immigrates to America.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Different Mirror.