Gordon's Reviews > I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down: Collected Stories

I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down by William Gay

Oct 02, 10

Read from September 08 to October 02, 2010

I read this one very slowly because, one, it demands it, and two, I never wanted it to end — much like the rural Tennesseean characters themselves in the collection. Most of them are faced with some inevitable life change, some "setting sun," and they rage against this dying of the light in their own ways, whether it's adultery or murder or . . . okay, so mostly adultery or murder. These are prideful, stubborn folk.

Here in short form, Gay really shines, because it better focuses and balances the meandering tendency of his novels with the gorgeous, painterly language that keeps me reading. This one's coming with me to that desert island. Though I suppose having it in my Kindle negates that debate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Richard (last edited Sep 09, 2010 09:49PM) (new) - added it

Richard Thomas let me know how you like this

Gordon Oh, it's stellar, right from the opening story (I'm only four in). I'm thinking his stuff may work best in short form, since his novels tend to be kind of thin on plot, and here everything's packed in tighter while still getting in those haunting descriptions we all love. Would make an excellent follow-up to Serpent Box.

message 2: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Thomas A great follow up. I've been meaning to read more of his work for a long time.

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin McKay Miller Good to know. Will keep an eye out for it.