smetchie's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

Oct 18, 2010

bookshelves: deprived-me-of-sleep, bbc-ideas, favorites
Read in October, 2010

**update**
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ ORYX AND CRAKE FIRST. The Year of the Flood is not a sequel even though goodreads lists it as Maddadam trilogy #2. It's more like a completely different story about the same event. There is hardly any character crossover and absolutely zero information in Oryx and Crake that you need to love/enjoy/understand The Year of the Flood.

I love that this story just dumps me off in the future. Lots of things aren’t explained. It’s written as if I already know what a "violet biolet" is and have seen "Mo-Hairs" on people on the street all my life. I liked it. It made for a sort of culture shock that gave me a nice distance from this harsh new world.

I've grown fearful of reading Margaret Atwood over the past few years. I adore her writing but the characters can be so awful to each other and the stories can be painful and depressing. They can make me loathe the human race and that's not me. I actually like human beings and I truly believe we're made to be good. So I was beyond pleased that this book features sweet characters with faith and heart who care for each other and their world. And Bonus!! There was just a modicum of girl-on-girl betrayal. (And really, she did have it coming.)

83 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

09/26
10.0% 1 comment
01/31 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela How is it? It sounds like something I'd like but then there is religion and I don't like that in my novels.

smetchie Have you read anything else by Margaret Atwood?

message 3: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I tried reading Oryx & Crake--or tried to. Me no likey.
I have the Handmaid's Tale, but haven't read it yet.

smetchie She's hosting a Q&A here over the next couple of days. She's taking questions on writing. I'll send you an invite.

Barb Ha. Fancy that ... I'm ready Oryx & Crake right now.

message 6: by Stina (new)

Stina I am seeing her in Portland on Thursday night... I can't wait!! LOVE HER!

message 7: by smetchie (last edited Sep 23, 2010 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

smetchie LUCKY!! Are you in her Q&A discussion group on here?? It's active right now.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Woohoo! Hot girl-on-girl betrayal!

Lori I'm amazed you understood as much as you did w/o reading O&C! Definitely read it. There's gonna be a 3rd book, rumor has. It's a trilogy. LOVED the 2.

smetchie Oddly enough, my mom gave it to me insisting I didn't need O and C to enjoy this one. But lots of reviews here insist you do. I never felt I was missing any big plotlines or anything. It was only some of the words I didn't understand. But I wonder if that's done on purpose.

message 11: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Ya, you definitely need to read Orxy & Crake. You'll have many moments where things will click into place and make sense.
Rumor has it that the 3rd is based on the MadAddams - and I assume Snowman will be there as well.

message 12: by smetchie (last edited Oct 18, 2010 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

smetchie I dunno. I don't have any questions and I really enjoyed it. So I have to say I didn't need it, right?

The questions I have are more like what do all those future things look like? Does OandC describe what the new animals look like? What a biofilm bodysuit looks like? What a violet biolet looks like? ect.

message 13: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb It actually does explain alot of the little things like that ... and it's a really good book and a good read all on it's own merit.

smetchie Good! Because right now I wanna see the movie of this story!!

Betty i read this book on the strenth that everything else i have read by Margaret Atwood has been so good, it took me a loooong time to figure out any connection with oryx and crake, but when the penny dropped i couldnt read it fast enough as i wanted to re read oryx and crake to remind myself of the story in detail and see where the two books joined. i have 2 copies of both books, one for me and one for lending out to others, love it!

Cathy Smetchie, if you didn't see much crossover, I believe you missed a couple of surprises. Only saying this so you can look for them and enjoy them.

Robyn Thank you for the update on not needing to read the other first, I was panicking a little!!

Cathy About reading Oryx and Crake first. It isn't necessary for understanding the Year of the Flood. However the Year of the Flood sheds light on Oryx and Crake and is surprising and fun for people who have read O & C first.

smetchie That's a great way to put it, Cathy. My opinion, having read them in reverse order, is just skip Oryx and Crake since Year of the Flood is so much better!

Mikhaela Houston I'm finding a few references which, if you haven't read Oryx and Crake, one may just gloss over. Both need to be read...

smetchie I think everything Margaret Atwood writes needs to be read. Is the third one out yet?

Barry I read it before O&C. Now re-reading both in order before MaddAddam. I'd say it's a mistake to take this on its own.

smetchie Everyone who read them in order says that.

smetchie Oh wait. I misread your comment. Never mind.

Steve Yea, it's more like a parallel story form a different perspective.

smetchie Yay Steve!!
I'm looking forward to reading Madaddam!

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Thank you for the reassurances about this book. As a Canadian, I feel guilty that I don't particularly like Atwood's work. After reading your comment, I think that I can probably tackle this one, knowing that (a) I don't need to read Oryx and Crake first and (b) the characters aren't "awful to each other".

smetchie You're welcome, Sandy!! I begin each of her novels with a sense of dread so I understand completely.

Daniel Hardly any character crossover? There are nearly constant references to Jimmy and Glenn/Crake in the latter half of the book, as well as events and locations that appear in both books (The Martha Graham Academy, Jimmy's mom fleeing the compound with stolen data, etc.). Oryx and Crake should definitely be read first!

Amanda Thanks for the tip. I just finished the 'first' of the 'series' and it was left open (right when it got good!). Than I read the synopsis of this novel and noted nothing similar, character wise. So why the f is it a series! Frustrates the hell out of me. So your review settles it, the next novel I read will not be 'The Year of the Flood'
Thanks for saving me some time :)

smetchie Glad to help, Amanda.