Robert Beveridge's Reviews > Culture Jam: How To Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must

Culture Jam by Kalle Lasn

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: defenestrated, cuy-co-pub-lib
Read in November, 2007

Kalle Lasn, Culture Jam: The Uncooling of America (Morrow, 1999)

I was relatively sure I was going to hate Culture Jam. What I didn't realize-- but, upon reflection, should have-- is why. Lasn, as with many disinformationists, adopts the pose of "oh, those other guys are awful because they distort the facts," and then turns around and uses those same distorted facts as selectively as possible to make sure his point gets across. (The whole second chapter could have done with a massive infusion of Stanton Peele's The Diseasing of America-- quoting Peele's stats-heavy book liberally could have strengthened a number of Lasn's arguments-- but certain findings of Peele's would have undermined or destroyed other arguments, so why bother?) All well and good if you simply want to consider it a rant and dismiss it as harmless, but Lasn's book is intended as a call to action. All well and good, and there's little denying that turning the American culture of advertising on its head is a laudable goal. If you believe the end justifies the means, hop to it. If you don't, after reading this book, get a few second opinions before running off half-cocked. (zero)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Culture Jam.