Natasha Borton's Reviews > Wildthorn

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

Sep 20, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Read from September 08 to 20, 2010

Overall it is a teen book, so what more should I have expected. Although I had imagened considering it's subject that it would have been a more mature read.
Firsty the format was completely wrong. The cover was brilliant and the script on front really draws the eye to it, inside the story isn't as well thought out. The font is a modern feel-good style that belittled the actual writing, which isn't that fantastic.
"It was ok" simply because I have a thing for mental health issues and the victorian era. I felt that, although she has done good research and has tried to present the information in bite-seized chunks, the book is missing empathy. The characters are well thought out but the relationships are rushed and all together I thought that with a little bit more enginuity and a little bit more patience this would have been a good read.
Unfortunately due to water damage I've had to throw my copy away... I wont be rushing for a replacement.

Themes include: Sexuality, Victorian Britain, Mental Health, Authority, Opression, Grief, Drugs, Gambling and Change.

Enjoy x

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildthorn.