Jen's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Sep 29, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, paid-full-price, read-in-2010
Read from September 21 to 27, 2010

Holy sh!t. What to say about this book...I've put off writing this review, because I don't really know how to describe it in a coherant fashion.

For the first 150 pages or so, I was absolutely lost. I contemplated giving up several times and could not keep up with how disjointed this story was. Melina Marchetta wasted absolutely no time diving right into the guts of the plotline, offering exceedingly little explanation. At times, I felt like I was nodding along with a conversation about quantum physics or (cringe) politics, while posses no prior knowledge of the subject. Thank God my GR friends encouraged me to keep on reading.

Marchetta is a beautiful, poetic writer. There are so many quotes within this novel that I want to write down in a notebook and keep with me at all times, or have tattooed somewhere discreet. They're that profound. She nailed the complexity aspect of this novel. I did need some further discussion and explanation following my completion of the book, so I could make sure that I actually understood what happened, but once I was clued into each detail, I was blown away. There are so many different interwoven layers within Jellicoe Road. I highly suggest, at the advice of Alexa, to keep a sheet of paper with you and write the characters names down in order to keep them straight. This might sound silly, but it would've helped me so much more if I'd have done this!

Taylor Markham is a fantastic female lead. She is independent and loyal. She has a bit of a temper, but that just makes her colorful. I thought at the beginning that she was kind of frigid towards some of the girls within her House, but she can't help it. Taylor had so much love and affection within herself, but came off emotionally constipated, likely due to her tragic past and difficulty with those close to her.

I loved, loved, LOVED the progression of the relationship between Jonah and Taylor. Jonah is so incredibly romantic <3 I will definitely go back and re-read some of his lines whenever I need a good swoon. I loved them because there was an underlying affection, even though both of them were supposed to be die-hard enemies. The two fit so perfectly together, like some heart-shaped puzzle piece (so corny, I know. It's late.) I want more of these two, yet I'm 100% satisfied with their situation and how the story ended.

The story of Narnie, Tate, Fitz, Webb, and Jude is a heartbreaking one. Again, I can't say much about these five without giving away a rather significant portion of the story, but this bunch claimed my heart and ran with it. Jellicoe Road and all of its characters were filled with this all-encompassing love for one another, that I could feel my heart swelling even though I had tears streaking down my face. I don't think I've ever read so many characters that possessed such selfless, genuine love for one another. And the best part? It wasn't cheesy at all. It felt real.

You know what else felt real? The angst. The heartbreak. The losses. And there's quite a bit of each category in this one. Be prepared. Surround yourself with a few boxes of Kleenex.

I will definitely be reading more of Marchetta's work in the future, but am slightly intimidated that all her stories will be as complex as this one. Truly, though, her writing is so wonderful that the brain-busting will be worth it.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

09/21/2010 page 10
2.0% "I have no idea what is going on." 7 comments
09/23/2010 page 62
14.0% 3 comments
09/23/2010 page 111
26.0% "So it's starting to get clearer."
09/23/2010 page 126
29.0% "Okay is this book ever going to make complete sense? I feel mentally challenged." 4 comments
09/25/2010 page 300
69.0% 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Alexa Eeek!! X3

I hope you like this book. 8)

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I must buy it! After reading all the fab reviews by you guys :)

Alexa Cool, yay! :D

I loved everything about this book. Especially the characters! Taylor & OTP!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen OTP? explain!

Alexa One True Pairing. I have a lot of OTPs, but Taylor/Jonah is my #1 fave pairing. :)

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Yay! Love this book. This definitely a must read :)

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim ROFL, alright, I'm going to order a new batch of books in a few days anyway, so I'll add this one to my list.

Anything else you want me to read? You are doing an awesome job of pointing me into the direction of the right book.

Janina Oh, yes, yes, read this book!!

oliviasbooks I loved Saving Francesca more ...

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I added SF to my to read list Olivia, thank you!

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I've been pretty slow, reading-wise, bc of school. I'll let you know what I think of the books I ordered yesterday once I get them :) can't think of anything else vital at this moment. The Night Huntress series is pretty legit, because Bones is sssssssssmokin'.

Alexa :D

Saving Francesca is awesome.

message 13: by Kim (last edited Sep 22, 2010 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Check out what shelf this book is on (in my book list, I mean) I will be joining the ranks soon.

I think Olivia recommended those books to me already, but I could be confusing it with another series.

I might give it a try again, and see if the urban fantasy train will allow me to make a few extra stops.

message 14: by oliviasbooks (last edited Sep 22, 2010 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks No. I really liked only the first Night Huntress Book. The second and third were okay. After that the fight-followed-by-sex in all kind of locations with sound in stereo annoyed me to no end. I won't finish the series.

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm sorry, I confused it with Dead Witch Walking. Those you liked, right?

oliviasbooks Those I ADORED.

~Tina~ Haha!

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic LOL. This book has that effect :)

Alexa Pretty sure I said something similar when I was done. XD

I get teary-eyed whenever I read that epilogue... 8'(

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim This should be arriving on my doorstep any minute now.

Morgan F I'm guessing thats a good "holy shit" there, Jen.

message 22: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen It is, but at the same time I'm so conflicted by this book. I feel like I missed a chunk of what happened.

Alexa If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Morgan F Alexa's our residential Melina Marchetta expert.

Alexa lol! Well, really only on Jellicoe & maybe Finnikin. XD

message 26: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Okay I'm asking. Anyone who hasn't read, AVERT THINE EYES! SPOILERS ABOUND!!!

wHo exactly killed Webb and why?

message 27: by Janina (last edited Sep 28, 2010 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janina Okay, I've read this only recently so I remember ;).

I think I understood that it was Fitz. When he was shooting his cans in the forest he accidentally hit him. I think he didn't even really notice it right away. Of course he never could forgive himself for that, so it was also a reason why he later committed suicide. At least I think so ... if I'm totally wrong please help me out.

message 28: by Alexa (last edited Sep 28, 2010 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa spoilers spoilers
spoilers XD

You're right, Janina. :)

Also, the epilogue was basically Webb's last thoughts, right before Fitz accidently shot him. Fitz didn't know he was in the tree.

message 29: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen OH. holy crap. That is so incredibly sad! I remember there being something strangely cryptic muttered by Fitz about "his last shot" somewhere throughout the middle.

For some reason, I was focused on the part where Webb was down in the tunnel and lost hope. I don know how I missed that, seriously. I probably won't write a review for awhile, because I need to do another quick skim-through to anything else I may have overlooked. I was so frustrated with trying to figure out WTF was going on that I wasn't paying attention when I was being told!

Alexa Completely understand if you missed something. I remember, while I was reading, that I had to write down what I figured out & what I needed to figure out on a sheet of paper. I would have been lost without that paper. lol ^^;; That's the first time I had to do that for a book.

message 31: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm not reading this review yet, I'm not reading this review yet, I'm not reading this review yet!

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I don't even know how to write a review for this book!

message 33: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen So guys... Going back and reading Alexa's comment about OTPs got me curious.

Who would you choose as your top five literary loves?

I'm talking the guys. Looking forward to everyone's input :) I'm brainstorming for my #5. I've already got 1-4 picked out.

Alexa Oooo I think I know my first two! The last ones are always the hardest to figure out, for me anyway. XD I will post 'em later today.

message 35: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I'd have to say mine are as follows:

1) Edward Cullen. Because he started it all and ROB <3
2) Irial from Wicked Lovely series.
3) Varen Nethers from Nevermore.
4) Seth Mortensen from Succubus.
5) Logan and Zachary from Shade/Adrian and Dimitri from Vampire Academy.

Morgan F Explain to me how you managed to justify squeezing four in one spot.

oliviasbooks Valid question, Morgan.

message 38: by oliviasbooks (last edited Sep 29, 2010 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks Jen wrote:"You don't have to choose a couple, because often times, heroines suck because they're whiny and stupid." I am a little shocked. There are MANY heroines I really like. Horrible heroines make horrible books. Nothing can redeem that.

Morgan F 1. Kartik from A Great and Terrible Beauty (The sexiest tree ever)
2. Peeta from The Hunger Games (Because I do)
3. Cole from Linger (the best kind of bad boy)
4. Jacob from Water for Elephants (hes adorable both as a young man, and as an old man)
5. Adrian from the Vampire Academy series (I'm still routing for you)

Honorable mentions include:
Seth from the Twilight series (A childlike crush, I know, but he so dang cute!)
Percy Jackson from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (he's not twelve in all the books)
Zach from Shade (I don't know enough about him yet)
Jem from Clockwork Angel (Ditto)
John Proctor from The Crucible ( I wish I was Abigail. You know- without the craziness)

That is all. I know I kind of cheated.

Janina I agree. If the heroine is stupid, no hot guy can make up for that.

message 41: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Morgan, I have no logical answer for you that doesn't involve "because I wannaaaaaaaa."

Olivia, I suppose I should've thought that through before typing it. I was really only referring to the counterpart of my #1. Everyone else on the list has a pretty kickass girl to go along with them.

message 42: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Jen, I say that is a good enough reason and on that note my top 6 are:

Shane from Morganville (no suprise there)
Seth from Wicked Lovely
Cabel from Wake
Jonah Griggs from Jellicoe Road
Dimitri and Adrian from Vampire Academy
Adam from Moon Called

There are so many more.... I feel like I forgot someone important.

message 43: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Lindsi, you're an Iri fan too? I love him :)

message 44: by Alexa (last edited Sep 30, 2010 04:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa @Jen: Varen! <3
@Morgan: Love your #2. :3
@Nic: Cabel! Griggs! <3

1. Jonah Griggs (Jellicoe Road) - Griggs, I don't know what to say
except that you're perfect for me. D:
2. Peeta (Hunger Games) - So kind & sweet & adorable. Plus, he can bake and paint, and his favorite color is orange! <3 Damn. He's perfect for me too.
3. Finnikin (Finnikin of the Rock) - He can put marigolds in my hair anytime he wants! ;D
4. Derek (Darkest Powers) - Aww puberty sucked for him & he has bad social skills, but once all that passes, I'm sure he'll be fine. And he's a good guy! :'3
5. Connor (Unwind) - What he said to Risa near the end... Ah! ;_;

Honorable Mentions:
-Varen (Nevermore) - Want more!
-Cabel (WAKE) - Awesome in the first two books.

message 45: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Oh I forgot Peeta! I love Derek and Varen too! There is just too many...

Alexa Loved your review!
Don't worry, her other books aren't confusing like this one. ;)