Just_ann_now's Reviews > Point of Hopes

Point of Hopes by Melissa Scott

3193372
Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-or-alt-historical, 2012, on-my-kindle, women-of-genre, rec-from-a-friend, melissa-scott
Read from September 19, 2010 to July 16, 2012

Updated review:

This is why I reread books! To go back in and catch the color, the richness, the subtleties that I miss when I'm barreling full-steam towards the ending. What a gorgeous world Scott and Barnett have created, and what a delicious pair Nico and Phillip are. I really enjoyed catching the little details of their - not flirtation by any means, but the growing sense of attraction they feel for each other. (How adorable that each one of them thinks, "I wish I had been wearing something nicer" each time they meet! I hate to say, "What a cute couple!" but there's so much charm and warmth and fascination between them. It warmed my heart, it did.

Original review

What an enjoyable read. Even though the plot was lightweight, and the characterization could have used a bit more development, the world-building was absolutely delicious - a fully-realized AU sixteenth-century, rich and Brueghel-esque in its attention to sensory detail. This is the world that the characters of Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman's The Fall of the Kings would have inhabited if magic had been allowed to flourish - a world where career paths are determined by the stars, mages hold their place in a thriving middle class as business advisors and analysts, and ghosts and necromancers peaceably share the same University housing.

As in the Kushnerverse, sexuality is quite fluid. The attraction between the two main characters is presented in a very understated way. I understand (from reading the back cover of the sequel, Point of Dreams) that I won't have long to wait for Nico and Philip to get together. Hooray!

Point of Hopes is back in print through Lethe Press, and is now available for the Kindle, hooray!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of Hopes.