Shawna's Reviews > Scandalous Desires

Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt

Aug 07, 14

bookshelves: author-elizabeth-hoyt-julia-harper, historical-romance, historical-romance-georgian, series-maiden-lane, pirates-vikings-seafarers-sailors, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hh-widow-or-widower, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, favorite-romance-series, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, gothic-romance, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, kindle, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, animals-matter, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, favorite-beautiful-lush-cool-covers, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, best-top-favorites, best-fave-reads-of-2011, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, 2011-reads, 5-stars-plus, a-all-time-favorite-hero, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, fairytaleesque-bb-cinderella-theme, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-authentic-uber-rake, hero-brooding, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, heroine-single-mom, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-servant-serving-working-class, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, i-read-own-faves-keepers, i-read-kindle, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, star-crossed-lovers, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, yowza-hotness, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, dirty-talk-turns-me-on, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-reformed-rake-player, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-wrong-side-of-the-tracks, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, hero-criminal-shady-illegal-acts, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik
Recommended for: Fans of steamy historical romance & ruthless, ultimate bad boy heroes who steal your heart
Read from October 22 to 23, 2011

This is a delightful free epilogue that's sure to please Maiden Lane fans, especially those who love swoonalicious Charming Mickey.

Merged review:

5+ stars – Historical/Georgian Romance

Wow...just...WOW! A+mazing! Brava Ms. Hoyt, you have truly outdone yourself and exceeded expectations with this spectacular romance!

I wanted to write a full review, but life has been crazy and stressful this past week, leaving me with too little time and insufficient mental capacity. So I’ll just do a bit of gushing about this magnificent read instead.

I’m a huge Elizabeth Hoyt fan, and I’ve enjoyed every book in the Maiden Lane series thus far. So it’s no surprise really that like so many others I’ve been eagerly waiting for Silence and pirate Charming Mickey to have their chance. I actually predicted and hoped for their romantic pairing back when I read Wicked Intentions.

“Call me crazy, but I can actually imagine her {Silence} being paired with Charming Mickey. That is if Hoyt can redeem him like Lisa Kleypas managed to do with Sebastian St. Vincent in the Wallflowers series.”

And my oh my, Ms. Hoyt most definitely delivered! Charming Mickey O’Connor is one of the best heroes in Romancelandia! He’s utterly ruthless and autocratic, yet vulnerable and endearing, not to mention rakish, vibrant, and sexy as all get out! And I love that he undergoes a transformation and redemption in some sense, yet still retains his rogue pirate’s charm.

Fans of Lisa Kleypas’s beloved heroes, Derek Craven from Dreaming of You and Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent from Devil in Winter, Billy Blade from Gaelen Foley’s Lady of Desire, and Andreas Merrick from In Total Surrender should find Mickey equally, memorably swoonalicious.

I just loved, loved, loved everything about this...the engaging story, perfect pacing, rich dialogue, superb secondary characters, nasty, cringe-inducing villain, danger and intrigue, drama and humor, steamy love scenes, and most especially the passionate, volatile romance between such an unforgettable H/H pairing: a dynamic, unrepentant bad boy hero and a prim heroine whose quiet strength finds and melts his nonexistent, cold heart. Charming Mickey O’Connor and Silence Hollingbrook are one of my all-time favorite couples. And the Clever John fairytale weaved stylishly throughout the story is an ideal compliment that makes it even more captivating.

I could go on and on, but quite simply, Scandalous Desires is the best historical romance, and one of my favorite reads, of the year, not to mention an all-time treasured keeper. Big, scandalously delicious 5 stars!

Oh, and my “Who is the Ghost of St. Giles?” prediction was correct, too! (view spoiler)

And don’t miss the video, “The Making of the Scandalous Desires Book Cover”, that’s posted here on Goodreads (link below) because it’s absolutely smokin’!

The Making of the Scandalous Desires Book Cover

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandalous Desires.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Elizabeth Hoyt
“She swallowed and looked down at the artichoke petals piled neatly on the side of her plate. Her center certainly felt like it was melting, growing soft and wet just from the rasp of Mr. O’Connor’s voice. Why should a man already devilishly handsome also have a voice that could charm birds from the sky? It simply wasn’t fair.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“What,” Mick said softly, “is Lad doin’ in me bed?”

Hearing his name, Lad opened small, piggish, upside-down eyes, gazing with idiotic adoration as his whip-thin tail thumped the covers.

“Ah.” Harry scratched behind one ear. “Well, see, ’e was lookin’ so forlorn, like, out in the courtyard by ’imself. Seemed an awful shame to leave ’im there all alone.”

“Off!” Mick roared at the dog.

Lad’s transformation was instantaneous. His tiny triangle ears folded back, his eyes narrowed worriedly, and he rolled so that he could crawl toward the edge of the bed on his belly.

“Is that mud on his paws?” Mick asked in outrage.

Harry glanced at the dog. “I do believe it is,” he said as if making a discovery.

“Christ!” Mick watched disgustedly as Lad made the edge of the bed and slithered off, thumping to the floor. The dog seemed to think that his apology was done—or perhaps he’d already forgotten that Mick was mad at him—for he gamboled over as frisky as a lamb.

“He’s not even me dog,” Mick muttered.

Lad sat, one back leg sprawled out to the side, tongue hanging from his mouth, and grinned up at him. He completely ignored Harry, his supposed master.

“The dog ’as a wonderful affection for ye,” Harry said brightly.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“What,” came a deep male voice, “is this?”

Silence froze, her hand still outstretched, clutching a damp, dirty cloth. Oh, dear Lord. Slowly she raised her eyes and found herself face-to-thighs with Mickey O’Connor’s extremely tight breeches.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“She swallowed, watching as the servants and Harry and Bert trooped out of the room. Lad, apparently not the brightest dog in the world, sat down next to Mickey O’Connor and leaned against his leg.

Mr. O’Connor looked at the dog, looked at the damp spot growing on his breeches where the dog was leaning, and sighed. “I find me life is not as quiet as it used to be afore ye came to me palace, Mrs. Hollingbrook.”

Silence lifted her chin. “You’re a pirate, Mr. O’Connor. I cannot believe your life was ever very quiet.”

He gave her an ironic look. “Aye, amazin’, isn’t it? Yet since yer arrival me servants no longer obey me and I return home to find me kitchen flooded.” He crossed to a cupboard and took down a china teapot, a tin of tea, and a teacup. “And me dog smells like a whorehouse.”

Silence glanced guiltily at Lad. “The only soap we could find was rose scented.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“He watched her retreat, his eyes lazy, and his body unmoving. A trickle of blood seeped slowly from the corner of his mouth. He let her get nearly out of the room before he spoke, “I may not have the right, Silence, me love,” he drawled so soft she nearly didn’t catch the words. “But I would’ve listened to ye. I would’ve believed ye.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Women were something best bought, he’d found. Pay them, f*ck them, and send them away in the morning. That way avoided tears, recriminations, and feminine disappointment. Oh, and small things like being slapped across the face. Mick rubbed his jaw. But Silence wasn’t one of his whores, as Harry had pointed out. Mick couldn’t send her away. And he couldn’t let her starve herself—he wouldn’t let anyone hurt her, including herself.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“I must be getting back to my rooms,” Silence said and stood.

Mick frowned with displeasure. “Why?”

“Because of Mary Darling.”

He shrugged. “One o’ the maids is watchin’ her.”

“But if Mary wakes she’ll want me.”

“Why?” he asked again, biting into a sweetmeat. This discussion wasn’t to his fancy, but sparring with her was.

“Because,” she said slowly, looking at him as if he were lack-witted, “she’s only a baby and she loves me.”

“Babies,” Mick pronounced, “are a great trouble.”

She shook her head, not bothering to reply this time, and started marching to the door.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Ye know as well as I that I lost whatever heart I once had long ago,” Mick replied without emotion, a simple statement of fact. “If the babe lives, or if she dies, it makes no difference to me. I’ll still eat sweetmeats on the morrow and taste the sugar on me tongue, still f*ck women and feel the pleasure in me bollocks. And, Charlie—mark me well, now—I’ll still kill ye and laugh in yer ugly face as I do it.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“For a moment she lay still in the big bed, blinking sleepily, loath to move.

And then she realized that the angel’s song hadn’t stopped on her waking.

Silence sat up. The tantalizingly beautiful voice was coming from the half-open door to Mickey O’Connor’s room.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Silence cleared her throat, fearful her voice would come out a croak. “Is she asleep?”

He blinked as if he, too, were waking from a dream, and glanced down at Mary Darling. “Aye, I’m a-thinkin’ she is—she’s stopped fussin’ at me.”

Silence felt a huge smile of relief spread over her face. “She was fussing? Oh, how wonderful!”

He shot her a look, one eyebrow arching. “Ye’ve taught the child to bully me, too, now?”

“Oh, no,” she said hastily, embarrassed. Did he really think she bullied him? What a silly notion!”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Mickey cursed under his breath, letting his head fall back against the wall. His c*ck still beat angrily against his clothing. Once he would’ve simply sent for a whore. Now that thought was oddly unsatisfying. He could have a willing woman, a woman who would do anything he might request of her, even the most exotic acts of sex, but instead his flesh wanted just one woman.

A woman who was as fierce in her maternal love as he had been as a boy in his will to survive.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Dear God. She ached, wanting something that she knew was a sin.

Wanting a man who was sin itself.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Humph.” She peered down suspiciously as he parted the leaves to reveal the choke. “That doesn’t look very tasty.”

“That’s because it isn’t,” he said. “Pay heed: the artichoke is a shy vegetable. She covers herself in spine-tipped leaves that must be carefully peeled away, and underneath shields her treasure with a barricade o’ soft needles. They must be tenderly, but firmly, scraped aside. Ye must be bold, for if yer not, she’ll never reveal her soft heart.”

He finished cutting away the thistles and placed the small, tender heart on the center of her plate.

She wrinkled her nose. “That’s it? But it’s so small.”

“Ah, and d’ye judge a thing solely upon size alone?”

She made a choking sound.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“She swallowed and licked her lips. “It’s rather good.”

He laughed breathlessly. Have care, part of his brain whispered. This way only leads to pain. But his c*ck was pressing hard against the placket of his breeches and he wanted to take her hand and draw her away to his rooms and keep her there until she learned to scream in pleasure.

Until she screamed his name and no other.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Silence rose and crossed to the connecting door and knocked.

The door was opened almost at once.

Michael leaned a shoulder against the doorjamb, a wicked smile playing about his sensuous lips. He was so very big this close—every time it surprised her and made her breathless. “Well, now, and when did ye decide to start knockin’ at me door?”

Silence fought to keep her face from flaming as she remembered the last time she’d peeked through Michael’s door.

She swallowed. “We’re bored.”

“Is that so?” Michael glanced down.

Silence followed his gaze and saw that Mary had crawled over to investigate. The baby grabbed a handful of her skirt and stood up. She kept one hand on Silence’s skirt and popped two fingers from the other into her mouth as she stared solemnly at Michael.

“She looks a rare treat,” Michael said softly, watching the toddler.

Silence smiled down at Mary. “She does indeed.”

She glanced up and her heart squeezed at the gentle look on Michael’s face.

As if she understood she was the subject of conversation, Mary lifted her arms—to Michael. “Up!”

Michael arched an eyebrow. “Mouthy little thing, ain’t she?”

But he bent and lifted the toddler.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Goggie!” she exclaimed, holding both hands out urgently to Lad, who’d been dozing by the fire.

“By all means,” Michael replied amicably, as if he and Mary were having a conversation. “Let’s bring the mutt with us, as well. He’s almost presentable now that he stinks o’ roses.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“As I said, I don’t expect you to understand—”

“And I don’t,” he cut in. “Ye ask how I can live a life that I know will end with the hangman’s noose. Well, at least I am alive. Ye might as well have climbed inside yer husband’s coffin and let yerself be buried with his corpse.”

Her hand flashed out before she’d thought about it, the smack against his cheek loud in the little courtyard.

Silence had her eyes locked with Michael’s, her chest rising and falling swiftly, but she was aware that Bert and Harry had looked up. Even Mary and Lad had paused in their play.

Without taking his gaze from hers, Michael reached out and grasped her hand. He raised her hand to his lips and softly kissed the center of her palm.

He looked at her, her hand still at his lips. “Don’t take to yer grave afore yer time, Silence, m’love.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“There, there, sweetin’,” he murmured into her hair.

“He loved me, he truly did,” she gasped.

“I know he did,” Michael said.

“And I loved him.”

“Mm-hmm.”

She raised her head, glaring angrily. “You don’t even believe in love. Why are you agreeing with me?”

He laughed.

“Because”—he leaned down and licked at the tears on her cheeks, his lips brushing softly against her sensitive skin as he spoke, “ye’ve bewitched and bespelled me, my sweet Silence, didn’t ye know? I’ll agree that the sky is pink, that the moon is made o’ marzipan and sugared raisins, and that mermaids swim the muddy waters o’ the Thames, if ye’ll only stop weepin’. Me chest breaks apart and gapes wide open when I see tears in yer pretty eyes. Me lungs, me liver, and me heart cannot stand to be thus exposed.”

She stopped breathing. She simply inhaled and stopped, looking at him in wonder. His lips were quirked in a mocking smile, but his eyes—his fathomless black eyes—seemed to hold a great pain as if his strong chest really had been split open.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Will ye come with me?” he whispered.

And she answered without hesitation. “Yes, please.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“The butterfly startled at Mary’s gesture and floated up, drifting on the breeze, its wings sparkling blue and bright in the late afternoon sunshine.

Silence watched it, enthralled, and then her eyes met Michael’s.

A corner of his mouth cocked up. “Welcome home, m’love.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“He sat and looked at her. “How is Mary Darling?”

“Fast asleep after playing and having a bath,” she said. “The nursery is lovely.”

“I’m glad you like it.”

“Rose and Annie are obviously practiced nursemaids, and what is even better, they seem to like Mary, and she them.”

He grunted. “It would take a hard heart to turn away from my Mary Darling.”

A smile curved the corners of her lips. “You didn’t seem too enamored of her when you first met.”

“She has a forceful personality, as do I. We just took a bit to get to know one another.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“At her gesture Michael cursed and caught her hand, falling suddenly atop her.

She stared up at him wondering what bedchamber faux pas she’d committed.

He groaned at her look. “I’ll let ye pet and play all ye want—after. Now I need”—he pushed her chemise to her waist, parted her thighs, and settled between them—“to be inside ye.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“He grinned, though his face was strained. “That’s it, love. Use me to make yerself feel good.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“He treasured her, treasured her tears, treasured her love for others. Her heart might even be big enough to fill that empty space in his own chest. Perhaps she could be his heart as well.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“She opened her mouth wide in a silent scream and his release caught him, hard and fast as he kissed her openmouthed. He tore his mouth from hers and shouted his triumph. She was his, now and forevermore, until the end of time, until the seas ran dry and man no longer roamed the earth, amen.

His and only his.

She slumped against him, the scent of their passion musky in the night air.

“Sleep,” he murmured to her, and held her against himself, his cock still buried deep.

She was caught and he had no intention of ever letting her go.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“He grunted and stirred, withdrawing from her. She only had a moment to be disappointed and then he flipped her to her back and rose over her, powerful and male. He casually parted her legs with his knees and thrust into her again, hot and hard.

She gasped at the swift invasion, the lovely feeling, and then his face was next to hers, his big palms cradling her cheeks.

“What I want,” he drawled, “is ye. Nothin’ else.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Why?” he whispered as he leaned over her, supported on one arm. “Why must ye be the one that haunts me dreams? I’ve seen ye weepin’ night after bloody night since the day I sent ye from me palace with yer dress half undone. If I had it to do over again, I’d cut me own right hand off rather than hurt ye so. Will ye never be able to forgive me, Silence love?”

“I already have,” she replied, cradling his cheek in her hand. “Long, long ago.”

Elizabeth Hoyt
“Will ye be wantin’ this now, madam?”

“Yes, please,” she whispered. She wanted to engrave the sight of him thus, about to make love to her, in her mind.”

10/23/2011
100.0% "Amazing! Best historical romance of the year! Review to come." 6 comments

Jill Dunlop YES!!!! I was really wanting this story too. Don't you want to know what went on in that room, LOL!

Shawna Oh, yes! I can't wait to find out! And I really hope Silence can melt his icy heart!

Juliana Am soooo looking forward to this book. And I just checked the publication date and it's now supposed to be September, not November, so :-D :-D

Shawna I can't wait!

Anne OK Long-awaited story and I can't wait! Hoyt's facebook page and her website update says we can get this one on October 18th!!

Juliana AnneOK wrote: "Long-awaited story and I can't wait! Hoyt's facebook page and her website update says we can get this one on October 18th!!"

Woohoo!!

Michelle [Helen Geek] I haven't read the first two yet - can you read out of order?

Shawna It was everything I hoped it would be and much, much more! I absolutely LOVED it!

Shawna Michelle, I highly recommend reading this series in order. And it will make reading this all the sweeter!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Will do. Downloaded #1 a few moments ago. Getting to it now. Ready for a bit of historical with my romance.

Yaseena ahhh so glad you liked it! I am dying to read this one an have been since I first read Wicked Intentions way back when. I have to wait for my copy to arrive from Amazon.uk though since the release in Ireland isn't until mid-november :( the anticipation always gets higher though as I read every great review

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Mickey was swoonalicious, as you said Shawna. He made me want to jump on his lap and purrr! :p

I've read other reviews comparing him with Derek. Sometimes, when I find reviews like that, always being very possessive ermm, protective of him, I tend not to agree (read: very picky about it). There's a popular example (but I won't be mentioning the name), where many compared Derek to that hero whereas I found him simply horrible! I'm yet to find someone of Derek's level (St. Vincent and a very few others come close). But, in this case I accede. Mickey was great. :)

And, again Shawna, love your shelves. :p

Diana~ I can't wait to read this! Great review Shawna!

Kathryn Barnes I have just bought it and cant wait. After I read the first book I just knew their story would be awesome

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Oh, Shawna! I haven't started this series yet... I keep putting it off... but I can't any longer, and I blame YOU!

Thank you!

Shawna I think you'll love this series, UM Dhes! *twists arm* :)

message 17: by Shawna (last edited Oct 29, 2011 05:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Michelle, You've got some great reads ahead. Let me know what you think of 'em.

Yaseena, I hope you get your copy, soon!

Punya, Derek Craven is definitely a standout hero, but I do think Mickey's upbringing and the way it shaped him is similar. But they each have their own unique appeal, for sure. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. :)

Diana, I think you're gonna love it!

Kathryn, I'm glad she didn't make fans wait too long for their story. Enjoy!

Anne OK Shawna, your review is fabulous! I love this book and it is my favorite historical of the year and most likely the last 4-5 years! The "Maiden Lane" series has been excellent and refreshingly creative. Every book has been wonderful and SCANDALOUS DESIRES skyrocketed it to exceptional!

message 19: by Shawna (last edited Nov 05, 2011 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, AnneOK! I just love this book to bits! It's one of my favorite historical romances and all around reads of the year. And Charming Mickey is one of my all-time favorite romantic heroes. I agree! Hoyt is phenomenal and she really delivered the goods with this...and the entire Maiden Lane series.

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Shawna, I totally agree with you about this book! Fantastic!!! It's by far the best book I've read this year and will definitely be high in my list of all time keeper favourites. I was surprised by the identity of the Ghost of St Giles because I thought it might be (view spoiler)

Shawna Yep, this is definitely at the top of my 2011 list.

I'm looking forward to Silence's brothers' stories.

message 22: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Awesome review Shawna! I see your shelves are growing. I'm still partial to your hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame shelf tho! :)

Shawna Thanks, Tammy! The shelves are out of control...much like my TBR Mountzilla, LOL!

Brittany B. Yay!!! I LOVE ELIZABETH HOYT. I too loved this book, actually I love all of her books. Great Review!!

Shawna Thanks, Brittany! I love all of Hoyt's books, but this is definitely my favorite!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Shawna! I just added a new shelf: favorite-HR. Mick is fabulous and the whole book was a wonderful read! Well, you outdid yourself with all those quotes! LOL

message 27: by Shawna (last edited Apr 11, 2012 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Baba! I loved this book and Charming Mickey to bits! LOL! Well, I didn't actually "add" all of those quotes myself. Some were already added and I just "liked" them. But there are a lot of memorable quotes from this book!

Renata Where I find it?! :))) Thank you! ;)

Shawna On her website and the link is listed on the GR book description. Here's that link: