Tifnie's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: classics, fiction
Read in September, 2010

I hate to admit this, but Hollywood's version is so much better than the book.

When I first started reading this book I pictured Lewis Carroll sitting on the side of his childs' bed telling him/her a bed time story. Albeit completely made up. In fact, I marveled at the idea of being able to make up such a wonderful story of adventure and make believe.

Then, as the story went on, I felt like a child had input into the story. "What about Humpty Dumpty, lions, and unicorns, Dad?" And of course, Lewis Carroll added Humpty Dumpty, lions and unicorns. "What about dragons, turtles, and a tea party, Dad?" And of course, Lewis Carroll added dragons, turtles, and a tea party. Unfortunately, it got to the point of being so over the top that I completely lost interest in the story.

As you already know, Alice starts by chasing a White Rabbit. She grows, she shrinks, she finds herself with a deck of cards and a angry Queen, everyone talks but isn't making sense. Life is backwards. Then Alice finds herself on a chess board and the changing landscape is each square that Alice needs to move in order for herself to move across the board to become Queen.

I have often heard that Alice's Adventure in Wonderland was concocted during an Acid trip. Perhaps. But more to the point, Lewis Carroll did a great job of taking a dream regardless of how random and bizzare and not only writing it down but creating a classic story out of it.

I gave it only 3 stars because I was more annoyed with the ever changing landscape, Alice's stupidity (grant it she is only 7), and that Alices' dream made no sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.