Kathy Andrews's Reviews > Rose in a Storm

Rose in a Storm by Jon Katz

Sep 19, 10

Read from September 16 to 17, 2010

I feel so fortunate to have received an advance copy of this book. It is a book I could relate to. I read it with my faithful black lab at my feet. Having worked at a free-range veal and lamb farm which employed a couple of sheep dogs, I could easily envision Rose as she went about her work on the farm. Jon Katz does a great job of putting the reader into the story. His descriptions are so vivid, one can almost feel the strength of the wind and imagine the effort necessary to manage a farm during a blizzard. Even though the story line takes place under harsh conditions, happier times are interwoven into the book adding to the enjoyment of the book. I have often tried to figure out what goes on in a dog’s mind, but have given up trying to put human thoughts into a dog’s behaviors. Mr. Katz’s interpretation of Rose’s antics is logical and pleasing. I wish I had this book to read during this past winter when I was housebound by the blizzards - it is the kind of book that you want to read beginning to end in one sitting.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose in a Storm.

09/16/2010 page 130
54.0% 1 comment

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon Katz Kathy, thanks for this lovely review. It's a good blizzard book, but there is always next year. It was important to me for Rose's thoughts to be realistic. My many conversations with behaviorists paid off. Please see more of Rose on my website, www.bedlamfarm.com And thanks again. I'll be back to answer any questions.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Great review Kathy, may I borrow it?

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon Katz You have to buy it. Just kidding.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Mmm or maybe you could send an advanced copy too ;)

Kathy Andrews Cindy don't tell Jon but I already loaned it to Karen. You know how fast she reads - she may finish before book club. I also promised my daughter she could borrow it because she has a dog named Rose and her husband's family have a border collie. I would like for her to have it to read when she petsits for me next month to remind her how much she loves dogs.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy ;-) Well whenever everyone else is done, Id love to read it!! See ya Friday!!