Paquita Maria Sanchez's Reviews > The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: literature

WORDS WORDS WORDS IS THE HOUSE HAUNTED WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS IS SHE CRAZY WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS ARE THEY ALL CRAZY WORDS WORDS WORDS NO IT MUST BE HAUNTED WORDS WORDS WORDS NO SHE MUST BE CRAZY WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS CRAZY WORDS SICKNESS WORDS WORDS WORDS DEATH THE END.
154 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turn of the Screw.

Krok Zero Yeah, Henry James somehow made a ghost story feel like homework.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Seriously. For such a short story, it really seemed like the author needed to hire a better editor to cut that puppy down to size. My words are a joke, but the feelings they express are all too real.

A.J. Howard I remember thinking that the style and the tone were really mismatched. The plot made you want to read quickly but the prose demanded a more laborious effort. It's like the obvious of a hypothetical Victorian Romance written by Tom Clancy.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I'm not familiar, so I have to ask...does Tom Clancy have a tendency to repeat himself repeat himself repeat himself like the characters in this story repeat themselves repeat themselves?

Paul Bryant Don't write off Henry James! Try The Golden Bowl next. (Loud hooting laughter).

Newnoob That sort of sums it up

Tara I loved Turn of the Screw, but I still think your review sums the book up nicely!

Scrappy LeMonte Exactly.

Lynette Best review ever!

Traveller Yes, i also liked the story, i thought it was brilliant, actually, but this review is a pretty good summary! XD

That's about the gist of it, i'd say...

Mosca No one write reviews like Paquita Maria.

No wonder I am afraid of writing.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Mosca wrote: "No one write reviews like Paquita Maria.

No wonder I am afraid of writing."

That. Is ridiculous.

Benja "Words words words". Insightful stuff!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Oh boy, thanks! Your review is also suuuuuper informative and thought-provoking.

Kasper Haha. Nicely done.

Stephen M This summed up my reading experience perfectly!

Paquita Maria Sanchez YOU summed up your reading experience perf...oh. Oh, I see. Thank you!

Becky Green That was exactly how I felt! I could barely even follow the story, it felt more like an exercise in ridiculously long and complicated sentences than anything else.

Gregsamsa This is my favorite James review EVER EVER EVER.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Thanks! All these years later, I still remember the horror...the boring, boring horror.

message 21: by P.W. (new) - rated it 3 stars

P.W. I'm glad it wasn't just me. had a very difficult time getting into this book.

Paquita Maria Sanchez You are not alone!

message 23: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara XD XD XD XD XD

The most accurate book review!!

Geoff You are so right. He was so fuckin verbose. I am in the middle of it, yet still am'nt used to the style. Damn is it taxing.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I still frustratedly sigh a little bit when I think about this book. What a chore. Unfortunately, I am stubborn and have to finish everything, so here we are.

Natlukens You could not be more correct. Ugh...

Paquita Maria Sanchez Soooo boring.

message 28: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Anderson I gave up through sheer boredom.

Natlukens Oh man. I read the book all the way through AND THEN watched the movie. Mistake.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Hey, but when you tell people it kinda sucks, no one can argue that you didn't give it your everything!

message 31: by Ela (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ela Scarily accurate! :D

message 32: by Niraj (new) - rated it 1 star

Niraj Brilliant! I hate this book and you have done an apt summary as to why. It's just so VAGUE it made me angry while reading it and I even shouted at a few of the pages...

message 33: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan HAHAHA! I have to agree. Too many damn words!

Amelia I have never agreed with a Goodreads review more