Paquita Maria Sanchez's Reviews > The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Sep 08, 10

liked it
bookshelves: literature

WORDS WORDS WORDS IS THE HOUSE HAUNTED WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS IS SHE CRAZY WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS ARE THEY ALL CRAZY WORDS WORDS WORDS NO IT MUST BE HAUNTED WORDS WORDS WORDS NO SHE MUST BE CRAZY WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS CRAZY WORDS SICKNESS WORDS WORDS WORDS DEATH THE END.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turn of the Screw.

Krok Zero Yeah, Henry James somehow made a ghost story feel like homework.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Seriously. For such a short story, it really seemed like the author needed to hire a better editor to cut that puppy down to size. My words are a joke, but the feelings they express are all too real.

A.J. Howard I remember thinking that the style and the tone were really mismatched. The plot made you want to read quickly but the prose demanded a more laborious effort. It's like the obvious of a hypothetical Victorian Romance written by Tom Clancy.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I'm not familiar, so I have to ask...does Tom Clancy have a tendency to repeat himself repeat himself repeat himself like the characters in this story repeat themselves repeat themselves?

Paul Bryant Don't write off Henry James! Try The Golden Bowl next. (Loud hooting laughter).

Newnoob That sort of sums it up

Tara I loved Turn of the Screw, but I still think your review sums the book up nicely!

Scrappy LeMonte Exactly.

Lynette Best review ever!

Traveller Yes, i also liked the story, i thought it was brilliant, actually, but this review is a pretty good summary! XD

That's about the gist of it, i'd say...

Mosca No one write reviews like Paquita Maria.

No wonder I am afraid of writing.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Mosca wrote: "No one write reviews like Paquita Maria.

No wonder I am afraid of writing."

That. Is ridiculous.

Benja "Words words words". Insightful stuff!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Oh boy, thanks! Your review is also suuuuuper informative and thought-provoking.

message 15: by Kasper (new)

Kasper Haha. Nicely done.

Stephen M This summed up my reading experience perfectly!

Paquita Maria Sanchez YOU summed up your reading experience perf...oh. Oh, I see. Thank you!

Becky Green That was exactly how I felt! I could barely even follow the story, it felt more like an exercise in ridiculously long and complicated sentences than anything else.

Gregsamsa This is my favorite James review EVER EVER EVER.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Thanks! All these years later, I still remember the horror...the boring, boring horror.

message 21: by P.W. (new) - rated it 3 stars

P.W. I'm glad it wasn't just me. had a very difficult time getting into this book.

Paquita Maria Sanchez You are not alone!

message 23: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara XD XD XD XD XD

The most accurate book review!!

Geoff You are so right. He was so fuckin verbose. I am in the middle of it, yet still am'nt used to the style. Damn is it taxing.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I still frustratedly sigh a little bit when I think about this book. What a chore. Unfortunately, I am stubborn and have to finish everything, so here we are.

Natlukens You could not be more correct. Ugh...

Paquita Maria Sanchez Soooo boring.

message 28: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Anderson I gave up through sheer boredom.

Natlukens Oh man. I read the book all the way through AND THEN watched the movie. Mistake.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Hey, but when you tell people it kinda sucks, no one can argue that you didn't give it your everything!

message 31: by Ela (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ela Scarily accurate! :D

message 32: by Niraj (new) - rated it 1 star

Niraj Brilliant! I hate this book and you have done an apt summary as to why. It's just so VAGUE it made me angry while reading it and I even shouted at a few of the pages...

message 33: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan HAHAHA! I have to agree. Too many damn words!

Amelia I have never agreed with a Goodreads review more

Malin Johansson this has got to be the most spot on review I have ever read

message 36: by Jade (new) - added it

Jade Your review makes me WANT to read the book, just so I can even more fully appreciate your review. Now I'm conflicted!

message 37: by Jade (new) - added it

Jade Turns out you can read it on your iPhone on Goodreads, which I just attempted. Two sentences in (or, essentially, a paragraph) and I have reached full appreciation of your review. Good lord, what a chore.

message 38: by Deb (new) - rated it 1 star

Deb Poi Argh ... a horror of comma's!

VanBrianne Hahahaha!!! That was very specifically awesome. Precisely how I felt. I made it a quarter of the way through, and just couldn't take it any longer. Blah.

Cgalikin Lightweights.

message 41: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Garza Yes. 19th century novel writing is wordy. Yet I found the words to feed the suspense and hunger for the end.

message 42: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy only from the mind of Henry M.Night James.

message 43: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Garza Awww....I remembered the word....Atmospheric .
I remember reading a few atomspheric novels in 1990s. The art of writing had changed, maybe improved then.

Roger Proctor If you didn't want 'WORDS WORDS WORDS' (a Shakespeare allusion right?) then there's always the Wikipedia synopsis.

In all seriousness, I agree that it is verbose and the syntax is deliberately convoluted but that's a reflection of the Governesses unreliable internal world. Have you noticed how she gets more confusing as her fear rises? - it's just brilliant!

Laurene I wish I wrote this review because it is so true! But I will not give up on Henry James yet.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Yeah, I'm still interested in reading Daisy Miller, for starters. I wouldn't feel comfortable about using one book to fully assess a lauded author (I mean, surely there's a reason people are still reading and analyzing this stuff over a hundred years later), because I have had others redeem themselves from a bad first experience in the past. Something about this one was just remarkably tedious.

Also, sorry to everyone for having my settings wrong. I'm only now seeing all the comments on this because I guess my comment notifications are broken, and until recently I purposefully had it set to not send me email notifications. Now I see that I am a little behind on this thread..by which I mean a year behind.

I'm glad so many people found this relatable! That's always a nice feeling. And to the ones calling me stupid or whatever: this was my internal monologue when reading this book. I'm not bothered by dense or slow-paced or quiet literature or floral prose (I'm quite fond of it, actually), but I think this is specifically a slog. This was my experience, and saying anything else would make me a liar. I'm sorry you find differences of opinion so distressing, but I should warn you that the internet is going to be a motherfucker.

message 47: by Candice (new) - added it

Candice Wow did this ever make me laugh! I'm feeling this way myself about Winters Tale, which is considerably longer! I will persevere, they are only words :-)