Alan Chen's Reviews > Wraith Squadron

M_50x66
Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: fun
Read in September, 2010

A refreshingly good book, where all the characters are clearly defined and well-introduced. This format benefits from the squadron starting out formed, rather than already being formed and having us jumping into the middle of the party, as happened in the Rogue Squadron books. I can actually give 1-2 lines about each character now, just from seeing the name.
Furthermore, because this happens, there is emotional impact from when character's die. Captain Hrakness from Agamar (the yokel planet), Grinder the hacker who also creates pranks and has one turned on himself rather memorably, Falynn the self-doubting woman with an inferiority complex...these are all characters. Not like Rouge Squadron 1, where Peesk dies and I go "Pessk"? I checked, he's mentioned about 1 time before his death. Once. No emotional impact for us, which is why, when Corran is suddenly weepy, I experience a large emotional disconnect.
In addition, it is no longer the Wedge, Tycho, and Corran adventures. The main characters in Wraith Squadron may be Wedge and Kell, but there is so much time spent in the other character's shoes, not merely seeing the other characters through the other people's eyes. For example, the first chapter does nothing but introduce us to Myn Donos, a character who isn't even one of the 5 most important characters in the book! Instead, he is used to bring the other squadron mates together. That's character development.
Finally, though Kell gets the girl, he fails at first, miserably, when he says he loves her, and she refutes that claim. A unique turn.
Two detriments (view spoiler)The author learned, the publisher didn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wraith Squadron.