Jeanette's Reviews > The Flanders Panel

The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

F 50x66
Sep 07, 10

liked it

Although I have always been a mystery reader when I wanted to just relax, I have found that I have become a bit bored with the formulaic style of most mysteries. What a wonderful discovery to pick up "The Flanders Panel" and find an intelligent, well-written and unique mystery. My only regret is that I hadn't played enough chess in my life to follow the intricacies that the game added to the plot.

Set in Madrid a young art expert is given a well-know painting to restore for an auction. During the process she discovers the words "Quis NECAVI EQUITEM," which translate "Who killed the knight." As she begins the research into the history of the painting, she finds that the knight in the painting who is playing chess has been murdered. The mystery progresses from there with the usual murders, clues, etc. However, the mystery is cleverly plotted and the integration of the chess game from the painting, the history of the people in the painting, and an actual game of chess provide for a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flanders Panel.