Lara's Reviews > The Deepest Water

F_50x66
Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in September, 2010

BOOK 33 OF 2010 - I'm sure I could simply blame the fact that I've just finished two other Wilhelm novels, but there is something very familiar to me about the way Wilhelm writes. I don't know if I read something from her a long time ago, but something just feels familiar, in a good way.

I truly do enjoy Wilhelm's books. I love that though this is a mystery, its not entirely bound by the readers need to know to who did the deed. Its an unfolding of how Abby discovers who murdered her father, how she has to come to terms with that discovery, and the what that means for her moving forward.

I've read a few other reviews that criticize the book for being so simple to figure out. Sure, it is simple to figure out. It is practically gift-wrapped and handed to the reader. But I think that this is intentional. The heart of the story is not figuring out who did it. I don't think Wilhelm intends for us to play detective, but rather, I think she wants us to experience the heartbreak, the anxiety, the fear, the friendships, the love, everything her characters experience, through her characters.

Oh boy, am I even making any sense here?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deepest Water.