Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Small Town Sinners

Small Town Sinners by Melissa C. Walker

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: the-contemps, fave-covers, my-books, signed-copy, young-adult
Read on August 12, 2011 — I own a copy

‘Small Town Sinners’ is an incredibly compelling and touching novel. Melissa Walker offers a very nuanced and non-judgemental examination of religion, belief, and truth. When reading the book I was really touched by Lacey and Ty and their discussions and doubts.

There are a lot of horrifying scenes in the book of what the church is saying through their Hell House. It makes me sad to know these things really happen, because I feel like no matter what you believe you should have respect for people as human beings. Condemning people for their sins in this way seems so opposite of the ‘God is love’ message. These are the types of questions and reactions that ‘Small Town Sinners’ elicits, which I think is fabulous and important.

The book contains a beautifully written and sweet romance and some touching friendships as well. It’s a truthful examination about faith and how questioning is part of being a teen, and even part of being a human being. To me the book is really about searching for answers and truth while knowing that there may not always be an easy answer. ‘Small Town Sinners’ is moving and relevant and I highly recommend it, as it was one of the best contemporaries I’ve read this year.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Town Sinners.