Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Between Here and Forever

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

May 06, 11

bookshelves: the-contemps, galleygrab, from-publisher, for-review, my-books, won-in-contest, young-adult
Read from March 14 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

You should know something about me: I love Elizabeth Scott’s books. Like really, seriously love. She is definitely one of my favourite contemporary YA authors, so I was thrilled to be able to read this one early through GalleyGrab. When I started this one I just fell into the story right away with an emotional response. I was so frustrated with the main character, Abby. For the most part she’s not someone whose thoughts it is pleasant to read about. I hated how much Abby hated herself. I just wanted to give her a wake up call. It was so counter-intuitive how all she wanted was her life to be about more than her sister, and yet all she did was compare herself to Tess. It was strange to me that Abby would be so blinded that she would idolize Tess and put her up on a pedestal when Tess was clearly a very troubled person who treated a lot of people badly.

It’s clear that frustration was what I felt as I read this book. The self-deprecation that Abby always shared openly was painful to read about. She always assumed the worst and interrupted people in order to put herself down. This was insanely hard to get through, but thankfully Abby (very slowly) begins to see herself in a different light. Eli is a character who helps Abby see that she’s worth something, and that she’s separate from her sister, in a positive way. Eli was completely precious. His life was not without its own hardships -- in fact, it was pretty tough, but this helps Abby to see that what others see as perfection (as she views both Eli and her sister) isn’t always so.

This was a bit of a tough read, but well worth getting through. I so appreciate how Elizabeth Scott can write practically every type of book out there and do it well. If you’re looking for an emotional story about family, loss, and acceptance, I definitely suggest you pick this one up. My joy at reading Elizabeth's lovely prose far outweighs the frustration I felt with Abby.

P.S. Chapter 13 mentions Jaffa Cakes. Honestly, that's a win for this book right there. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Here and Forever.