Antof9's Reviews > The White Stag

The White Stag by Kate Seredy

Oct 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010-read, alterna-history, animals, classic-schmasick, fathers, liberry, read-the-newberys
Read in September, 2010

I really was thinking we'd turned a corner on Newbery books I like, but this one was ... well, it just didn't do it for me.

I wanted to like it, but as is often the case with me and historical fiction, I spend the whole time wondering if this is really what happened. And the whole "making Attila the Hun a sympathetic character" thing was annoying.

This is the tiniest of books, and I probably should have just read it in one sitting, but I read it during two pedicures. Which means that I read half of it and then totally forgot about it and then read the other half a month or so later.

So ... I have nothing else to say about this book, except now I can say I've read it. Oh, and I have a twenty cent fine for it at the library because I kept thinking I'd return it.

But wait! There's more! I was just about to put this book by the door to get it to the library when I took out the library receipt printouts and remembered that I had marked something in the author's introduction. Usually I do that because I like how something was written, or a quote that was used. In this case, I marked it because of its preposterousness. Check out the last line of this quote:
Those who want to hear the voice of pagan gods in wind and thunder, who want to see fairies dance in the moonlight, who can believe that faith can move mountains, can follow the thread on the pages of this book. It is a fragile thread; it cannot bear the weight of facts and dates. Oy. The fact that it's followed by this bold claim: "Here is the epic story of the migration of the Huns and Magyars from Asia to Europe, written in beautiful, rhythmic prose, with pictures that reflect the breathtaking pageantry of history." is rather ridiculous, IMO.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Stag.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deena (new)

Deena It is books like this (and so many others) that make me deeply grateful that I am an historian now, not at an earlier time...
I think you were very brave to get through it at all.

Antof9 Thanks, friend! It's such a little book it should have been nothing, but I really did feel like I was slogging, so it's nice to have your reinforcement :)

message 3: by Deena (new)

Deena I have a couple of titles like that one (although not prize winners, fortunately) that I keep on hand to show Native American history students about how much has changed in our attitudes, and in the profession of history - although The White Stag admits to being fictional, which helps (but only a bit!)

Antof9 but only a bit, indeed!